• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rikky

1.6 Starting Issue

rikky

i know this has been covered a few times, i've done a few checks though. basically the car (1.6 J plate 205 gti) hasn't been ran for 18 months. it was started last weekend and was fine apparently (says previous owner)

the car was getting spark but no fuel. couldn't hear pump priming either.

removed pump, sent 12v to it, nothing - so assume pump to be dead

also noticed the fuel gauge doesn't display any kind of reading for the level and doesn't even move or flicker when ignition's turned on. could this be the sender in the tank parallel to the pump itself?

(didn't realise the pump and sender were separate until yesterday, pretty new to 205's and the pulling apart of them!)

it's had a new black relay under the dash, looks like the fuel pump relay? i've also heard of this tachymetric relay, not sure of it's location though, is it near this black fuel pump?

i'm not overly worried yet as the 1.6 engine's coming out and a gti6 one going in, but i'm guessing the fuel level issue still needs seeing to regardless

the battery is now flat aswell, to add to my woes :rolleyes:

oh, also when turning to ignition pos2, i don't hear any relays click or anything...

thoughts?

Edited by rikky

Anthony

Tachymetric relay = fuel pump relay, which is the black underdash one near the ECU you mention.

The fuel level senders are generally quite reliable, but the connection on the top can be problematic - give it a clean and a wiggle and often it'll spring back to life and work forever after. The fuel level sender is seperate to the pump though and is the unit next to the pump.

rikky

thanks, so basically I've just got the black relay and that's it? I'm used to 306's to be honest and wondered if I had a similar relay like the brown one behind the battery tray. I'm sure I read on here some earlier ones had it?

I've checked all fuses anyway but they're fine.

Will inspect wiring to sender and see what's what...

Anthony

Jetronic 205 GTi's just had a single fuel pump (tachymetric) relay that powers the fuel pump and fuel injectors - on Phase 1 cars it was located in the engine bay near the battery, whereas on Phase 1.5 onwards cars it was located underneath the dash. These are known for failing occasionally, although if you've put 12v and an earth directly to the pump with nothing then it does sound more like a dead pump.

Motronic 205 GTI's (1990 onwards CAT models) had two more conventional 4 pin relays, the same as 1.9 Mi16's.

The mid-90's onwards 306 style double relays I don't think were ever used on 205's - certainly not on GTi models anyway, although possibly might have been on the late monopoint injection base model cars (I've never looked too closely at one).

rikky

nope absolutely nothing... cleaned contacts, tried wiggling plug, not a sausage... also noticed that the car wasn't firing as if battery was flat, but if I move the key back a few degrees it tries to start. might be a dodgy barrel. but the pump is definitely dead regardless

still the fuel gauge issue remains

Edited by rikky

aarontrophy

Check the wiring to the fuel pump I had re route a live wire to the fuel pump really

Sign in to follow this