• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GeorgeXS

Trip Meter Won't Reset.

GeorgeXS

The trip meter on my AX's Jaeger instrument cluster (Same physical clocks as a 205) will not reset. Pressing the button does not do anything, indeed it feels like its pushing nothing at all, not how I remember the 205 being. The numbers are all out of alignment as well.

Can anything be done to cure this for those who have taken them apart? Didn't fancy spending a load of time taking the dash apart to find out nothing can be done if its broken!

chipstick

Push it harder and see if that helps

Had this on a set of clocks. When pushed the numbers would wiggle and then the pin would feel like it had bottomed out. I feared I had nothing to lose so forced it and it moved.

Worth a try

welshpug

my 205 does much the same thing, pushing harder doesn't work :lol:

GeorgeXS

Yeah just tried that, not happening unfortunately.

Anthony

I have fixed some 205 clocks that have the problem of the trip reset not working and not appearing to even be connected.

It depends what the underlying fault is - sometimes the tab on the reset pops out and ends up behind the arm that it's designed to press, and you can move it back if you're careful, but on other occasions the tab has broken off.

That's for the 205 GTi type clocks - lower spec 205's are slightly different, and AX's might be different again.

The issue that Chipstick mentions is something else entirely - usually driving down the road a little allows the trip to be reset without excessive force, and indeed, I suspect that it's people forcing the trip reset that causes the issues I mentioned at the start of this post. Mechanical sympathy goes a long way!

GeorgeXS

Right looks as though i'll have to take them out then to inspect. The dials certainly look the same as my old XS ones did. With regards to the misaligned numbers, would they sort themselves with the resetting of the trip, they move correctly with the distance just cannot be read properly!

Anthony

Possibly, but without seeing the clocks I couldn't even begin to say with any confidence.

205 GTi and XS models for example have different design speedo and odometers with significant differences with regards internal workings. I'm sure that someone will correct me, but from memory the GTi clocks are made by Veglia and the XS clocks by Jaeger, hence the difference internally.

Certainly 205 GTi clocks you can get the trip to sit wonky if you only half reset it, so it's possible that's what's happened on your AX - and in the case of 205 GTi's, properly reseting them makes the trip line up correctly again.

chipstick

Well the heavy handed push in that case sorted it out without detrimental effects :D

GeorgeXS

Ok, i'll have a go at taking them apart tonight then, see if I can cure it. Never thought I'd miss not having so much, its really annoying!

Rjuhar

Had the same problem that bothered me a lot but only sorted it when two of the bulbs went which really anoyed me. Took the whole thing apart (at one point it actually popped apart by itself) so I cleaned everything, greased it and after some two hours of trial and error I managed to somehow correctly assembled it. Miraculously it works like a charm however if you don't have a steady hand, patience and nerves of steel I really wouldn't recommend it.

GeorgeXS

Forgot to update this, played with the dials a couple of weeks ago with limited success.

The symptom Anthony described is exactly what happened, the tab had slipped behind, anyway I managed to bring it back in front and now the trip resetting works perfectly.

But......In taking the clocks apart now the trip meter isn't working, no miles are being added to it. The main mileometer is working fine but its numbers are ever so slightly misaligned. All of the numbers in the tripmeter are starting to go around but not properly with the miles, and they move together. Also there is quite a loud ticking from the dial, I think the cogs between the two meters, may be slipping, has anyone seen this happen before?

Anthony

You'll find that there is a little pressure being applied by the button where you've moved it, which stops the trip working.

GeorgeXS

Ahhh ok, thanks Anthony, i'll give that a try tomorrow!!