• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
commievid

Water Coming Out Of Boot Latch?

commievid

Hi all,

I've searched around and there's lots of information about boot leaks which I'm currently diagnosing. Just bought the car on Saturday and have encountered some severe leaking with the heavy rain we've been having.

I think I have the cause down to two possibilities: One is the weatherstrip around the rear window, which is probably supported by some bubbling I've noticed around the window. It is a straight swap or a little more labour intensive?

The other is something I've not seen in the forums unless I've missed something.

Whilst drying out the car, I've noticed the boot latch sprouting water from the nuts. I thought nothing of it and it wiped it away, assuming it was from drying up elsewhere, but it continued to sprout out. Curious as I've not seen leaks rising before. So I unbolted the latch and encountered this:

IMG_0800.jpg

I found whatever looked like a syringe and indeed water was coming out! The next picture illustrates it much better, when I put the latch back in place:

IMG_0802.jpg

Where it's been spurting out since. This is probably one of the big causes of a lot of the rust I'm seeing, especially where the floor meets up the rear. For the time being, I'm gonna buy some tube or bigger syringe to get as much as I can out, but the obvious question is what is going on? Is water supposed to enter this part of the car, and if there are drainage holes for this part of the car, where are they, as seems to me one hell of a blockage has occurred.

Many thanks for any help, and apologies if this has been mentioned before!

welshpug

probably blocked sunroof drains or water seeping in behind the lights.

Tom Fenton

The area behind the boot latch is a box section, this is obviously filling up with water from somewhere. Personally I would look at the rubber bellows that carry the wiring from the car to the tailgate.

Also you need to drain the water out of the box section as otherwise it will be rotting away merrily. I would advise drilling a small hole to allow the water to drain, you may need to remove the rear bumper to get proper access to do this. Once it has dried out (give it a few weeks) then I would recommend some form of rust protection to be injected into the area, waxoyl or similar.

welshpug

the wiring loom for the rear lights is in that box section, pull the grommet for the number plate lights out and it should drain most of it out.

commievid

Thanks for the responses.

Pulled out the number plate lights, but they don't appear to be part of the box section Tom Fenton mentions. I still can't determine the source, so have been attempting to see why it isn't draining, but not having luck removing the bolts for the rear bumper. Both side bolts looked seized, and after mangling the drivers side apart with a bolt grip (its still stuck to the bolt grip) plus rain, I've taken a break from it.

I think I can get at the rear middle one (behind the number plate, the one between the number plate lights is buggered) and the two from inside the boot aren't a problem. So only the passenger side. Any others to be aware of?

Had a brief spell of sunshine in the afternoon, and spot checks are showing water seeping through ever so slightly where this box section and boot floor meet. I'm dreading to think what might me behind that box section, or whatever might be lurking if I delve deeper.

Tom Fenton

Hopefully this picture may help. This is a rear panel removed from a car. The hole the lights wiring comes through is in the centre, however it is too high to drain the water out. If I were you, you need to drill a small hole right at the bottom of the closing piece to allow the water to drain.

oct2011132.jpg

• Like 1

welshpug

ahhh fantastically illustrated tom :)

commievid

Ok sheared off the other side bolt. Two inside bolt came off easy, bolt behind number plate. Drilled out two rivets on lower valance...bumper is not moving.

I know I'm so close! Do I need to give it some welly or am I missing something?

Anthony

To remove the rear bumper and valance:

• There's a 13mm nut on either side of the inside of the boot
  • Two 13mm nuts behind the valance/numberplate (or remove the single philips head bolt on the underside of the bumper)
  • One 13mm nut on either side of the bumper, just rearwards of the end of the wheelarch trim.
  • Seperate the support straps from the bottom of the valance (usually rivetted)
  • Remove the clips securing the wheelarch trim to the bumper

Chances are, at least some of the bumper bolts will snap!

commievid

Many thanks, managed to get the thing off! It was the extra nut in the middle I missed (behind a plastic cover), plus the wheelarch trims that were keeping it in!

Drilled out couple of holes at the bottom of the box section, some water came out, but unfortunately, where it is seeping out into the boot appears to be below it, and it looks to me like water is getting itself into the seam(s) and finding a way out.

I've covered the car with a rain/shower cap, in an attempt to prevent further water entering said box area, whilst still diagnosing. Looks like I'll have to go through the same steps as many have before. Also, will need to get myself some replacement nuts, bolts and brackets for the bumper. Will going to town with copper grease on these nuts and bolts prevent future grief when removing?

Thanks for all the help guys!

Anthony

Copper grease will certainly help with preventing the bumper fixings from seizing up and giving you hassle in the future - it won't prevent the problem forever given how exposed they are, but certainly should help in the medium term.

Tom Fenton
a0d0d23d.jpg

Tom Fenton

Drilled out couple of holes at the bottom of the box section, some water came out, but unfortunately, where it is seeping out into the boot appears to be below it, and it looks to me like water is getting itself into the seam(s) and finding a way out.

This can't really happen due to how the body is constructed. My very quick drawing above shows the construction of the boot floor(red), rear panel(blue) and closing piece(green).

The latch sits on the angled part of the blue rear panel. Thus it is that box section that has water in. So drilling holes near the bottom of the green bit should allow it to drain.

Not that you've much chance with the weather at the moment, but hopefully if you can get it all dried out you shouldn't get any more coming up through the boot latch.

commievid

Thanks again.

There's no more coming up from the boot latch, it only seems to be weeping from one point:

IMG_0806.jpg

And directly behind this:

IMG_0803.jpg

Don't know what to make of this, as looking at the drawing above, this probably shouldn't be happening? I'll keep investigating.

Tom Fenton

To be honest I would just let it dry out now. If that box section has been full of water then what you are probably seeing is the water coming out of the seams and joints. If possible park it inside and let it dry out. However what is important is to make sure you do something about treating the potential rust.