• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chipstick

Bad Words About 309 Beams

chipstick

ah, minefield, likely to be nadgered if it hasn't been rebuilt, good luck!

Yeah. Only one way to find out. I got it for a good price so will see what happens. Got to take a few risks here and there eh!

Be warned that running 309 tube with VTS arms does leave the back end VERY wide, my car is like this plus 4mm each side, the tyres are right out wearing away the plastic arches.

If you do decide to do it I would advise using 205 1.9 stub axles/wheel bearings/brake discs to lose a little bit of track width compared to the 306/Xsara offset.

Yeah, that's my fear. I appreciate the arch trims will get shaved by the tyres so I have a spare set to change over to if I ever decide to go back to 205 width. I think the 1.9 shafts etc idea coupled with the VTS arms is probably a good compromise actually, and not something I had thought of :)

stef205

Dan,

I'm using gti6 arms and every thing else from a gti6 arms I haven't had any issues with it, apart from the tyres shaving the outer arches but that's to be expected. If you need anything give me a shout as I'm sure I have it here.

JRL

I have a rebuilt 309 beam from Anthony, Gaz coilovers with 185lb springs solid rear beam mounts. For me it feels great.

chipstick

A month on and I still haven't touched the beam :lol:

Not exactly a problem, the car is in storage out of the way and will remain there until it rears it's head in the spring 'finished' ready to be used.

Fair bit planned. 309 arms and shafts so will take that oppurtunity to renew everything underneath to freshen it up.

I was happy to leave this for a couple of months and end up panicking in the new year - but since I noticed the ARB and TB group buy with some pretty good prices I am thinking about getting started now so I can then worry about the cage and other things in the new year.

Now, I opted for 250lb front springs when I orderd my coilovers so was going to go for a 24mm GTi6 adapted ARB and 21mm TB's. But I would much rather spec the rear up once and in the mean time grab another set of springs for the front.

Now I have the option to spec an anti roll bar at a reasonable price, I am toying with going bigger than 24mm.

Initial thoughts are 25mm ARB and 23mm torsion bars. To clarify, the car isn't used to go shopping. I'm hoping that mix would be a good compromise for fast road and track use. I'm then wondering if I should change the springs to perhaps 275lb. According to a search 23mm is equivelent to 235lb/inch, so perhaps 250's are fairly suited to 23mm.

I just want to make a decision so I can get ordering and know I have most the bits I need to fit over the coming months.

cybernck

I'm currently also in a dilemma as to which rear beam to use.

Considering I may use 6.5x16" ET28 Nimrod/Ouragan wheels, the fit would be spot on.

However, with 205 Speedlines, the tyres will be very close to the arches on a lowered car, as already suggested.

By the way, I am going to run coilovers with eccentric top mounts in the front, with 205 wishbones and probably standard ARB.