• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ishan

Saxo Vtr Engine Into 205 Gtx

ishan

I own a 1993 205 1.4i GTX. For sometime now the engine has been leaking oil, using ALOT of petrol and very recently the clutch has started to slipping. The engine fitted in this car is the single point injection 1.4 TU.

Rather than get things fixed, I have been contemplating the idea of replacing the whole lot with a Saxo VTR engine and gearbox as I have seen a few relatively cheap with low miles.

I've searched the topic but can't seem to get 100% definite answers and hoping you guys could help?

How straightforward is this conversion? Is it a bolt in job?

Will the 1.4 drive shafts fit into the Saxo box?

Will the 1.4 downpipe fit onto the 1.6 manifold?

What is the wiring like?

Is there any special parts needed?

I'd be looking at doing as much of the work myself so as much detail would be lovely!

• Like 1

custard-rallye

Use all the 205 mounts use the 205 manifold

shafts should be fine aswell

Wiring I'm not sure as I only used vtr bottom end with a carb head

• Like 1

ishan

Is it really that simple? Will the 1.4 exhaust manifold definitly fit the 1.6 head?

custard-rallye

Yes it fits weekend job

johnnyboy666

edit: misread title

Edited by johnnyboy666

custard-rallye

It's a vtr engine not vts he won't need to chop manifold it will go straight on

You don't need to grind mounts its still a 8v

Edited by custard-rallye

ishan

The plan is to get a complete blacktop VTR engine, gearbox and ECU + loom.

So based on the above I should be able to remove the 1.4 engine and gearbox, swap all the mounts over to the 1.6 engine, wire in the new ECU and refit driveshafts. I'd need to get some kind of downpipe made and fitted but that should be it?

Nothing missing from the above? Easy as that?

custard-rallye

Use your 1.4 mani and downpipe it will fit perfect.

Think that's it just the wiring will be the hard bit

Edited by custard-rallye

aarontrophy

i was thinking of going down this route vtr but i was worried about the rev counter not working but im sure spoox do a converter ? i was thinking using the rallye gearbox

welshpug

wiring wont be hard, the engine loom is pretty much self contained with a large plug or two on the left hand chassis rail, much the same principle as doing a gti6 conversion (might even be the same ecu)

I would think as yours is already an injection car then the fuel side of the conversion would be quite simple, might need to uprate the fuel pump.

custard-rallye

Rev counter will work I used a rallye box but a saxo is only different in the mounts which is a bolt off/on job

309jazzpanda

I know I'm dragging a dead thread up but saves starting a new one for the same thing, glad the rev counter has been cleared up but about the pump will it need an multipoint pump do these split like the gti pumps when the pump died in the 309 I took the pump unit/motor out and fitted a sytek one from a cosworth instead

309jazzpanda

Need I'm hijacking this thread now. Need to know guys do I require a different pump in my gtx for the saxo engine?. Also the saxo has a speed sensor on the box, does this only drive the Speedo or is it like a ford where it runs to the ecu ?

Thanks guys, I have finally got some time off next week so the engine is going in

309jazzpanda

Sorry should have said fuel pump is what I need to know about in regards to up rating