• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MiniGibbo

8V Tu Questions

MiniGibbo

Right im looking at changing my bottom end.. (im unsure of my current engines ring condition)

Ive been talked into changing the bottom end for a 1400 unit as it would be rude not too.. at the moment my options seem to be,

1400 ally block saxo/106 with flat pistons.. ive been told the drop in compression isnt noticable.

1600 cast iron block from a xsi/vtr with domed pistons.. more power but more weight, how much weight im unsure of.

The one thats confusing me though is apparently the s1 106 1400 xsi as its a 1400 with domed pistons, im getting mixed opinion on wheter its a ally block or cast block though..

Opinions..?

My current engine is a s1 106 rallye engine and i plan to re use my head.

MiniGibbo

Ive since found out ally and iron blocks are 15kg different :blink:

welshpug

yup, a significant lump, an iron TU isn't that far off an alloy XU!

allye

Going to all the effort of building another engine which isn't going to see a huge amount more than the 105(?)hp of a 1.3i seems a bit odd, rebuild your engine, they are great little motors.

MiniGibbo

Well the ally blocks are 90kg, 1600 8v are 105kg and the 16v 1600 are 120kg..

I thought the 16v tu was just lighter than the gti6 engines..?? That would mean even the iron 8vs are a good 20kg lighter.

@Allye, my heads got to come off anyway dude so the engine is half way out as it is.. So for the little extra cost some more cc seemed rude to pass up lol.

I've been lead to believe they can make anywhere upto 120hp with my head and breathing mods. I'm dubious though and think 105-107 would be more on the money.

Edit: mine should be 100hp now.

Edited by MiniGibbo

Sandy

It's more like 23kg between alloy and iron 8v TU. XSi 1.4 and AX GTI blocks are iron. The 16v TU is barely any different in weight to alloy XU 16v and the 1800 16v EW is slightly lighter than 16v TU.

MiniGibbo

What would you recommend I go for, you'd know a hell of lot more than me..

Ally 1400 with flat pistons.

Iron 1400 with dommed pistons.

Iron 1600 with I'm guessing dommed if you can get single plugs with dommed..?

Miles

The main thing before deciding personally is what you want from the car, then Budget & go from there

MiniGibbo

I reackon,

100 for a bottom end

100 for gaskets/seals/belts

100 for some bbm mounts

And some spanner time..?

I only use the car for enthusiastic sunday drives and for a few hundred it's worth a go :)

Edit: If I strip the front end at the same time it would be a good time to get my inner wings changed, and it's about the time I penciled it in with the bodyshop as I wanted to get FCS and pugfest out of the way first.

Edited by MiniGibbo

allye

If it was me, I'd rebuild your 1.3 so its healthy and stick some twin 40's on or some bike carbs for some bwarp :ph34r: (or take out a lone and stick some jenveys on! :wub: )

MiniGibbo

Looked at an at speed throttle body kit but I don't plan to spend that much on it.

If I want speed I'll drive the other whip ;)

welshpug

GSXR bodies, much better, Sandy+Colin mani of course.

MiniGibbo

Again I don't want to spend that much lol :D

tdr_1976

I've nad my XS for almost 3 years now & have spent a few quid getting the engine up to scratch.

First, I fitted a pipercross air filter, then a 4-2-1 Manifold with stainless steel system, once that was done, I stripped the head, got it pressure tested and skimmed, did some slight porting work on it, new stem seals, re ground the valves, fitted a kent PT02 camshaft with kent vernier pulley, re fitted it all with new seals head bolts and got the timing sorted and it went like s*it off a shovel.

Two weeks ago, I fitted a set of twin 40 Dellorto DRLA carbs on it, and now it's bloody fantastic to drive and pulls more like a 1.9 than a 1360!

My suggestion is to stick with the 1360. With a decent manifold, cam, headwork and a set of good bike/ webber/ Dellorto carbs you can have a pocket rocket!

I love this, and I'm already looking at getting the crank and flywheel balanced in the new year to help it rev a bit easier.

Img_0433.jpg

Edited by tdr_1976
  • Like 1

MiniGibbo

The main idea behind a new bottom end was if my rings are shagged..

It's never going to be fast but the experience and enjoyment I hope to achieve from it I think it's worth it.

And even if I bugger the lot up it's not going to brake the bank.

I'd like to say ill never fit bodies to it (I'd never for carbs) but going on my previous with cars, "short term, on a budget" cars never last and I always plow too much money into them..

MiniGibbo

What's the 205 xs, ally or iron.?

jonXS

its all ally

jonXS

its all ally

tdr_1976

Yes, it's the Alloy TU3S, they fitted the same engine in the AX GT.

MiniGibbo

Cheers.

custard-rallye

Get a 16v bottom end or 8v 1600 with 16v pistons buy a 645 catcam and get sandy to cut out the pistons

MiniGibbo

The 16v tu bottom end dosent go with a 8v head.

I think I've found the engine I want now..

custard-rallye

That would make a fun car

custard-rallye

I'm sure the 16v bottom end does if not a 8v with 16v pistons will up the compression