• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dicky20014

Early Be1 Gearbox Oil Type

dicky20014

The gearbox on my mi is a early 1.6 be1 box. It doesnt have a oil level plug on the end of the casing like they usually do. The haynes manual leads me to believe this means it was made before 1986/7. It then tells me that you should use engine oil 10/40w in the box instead of the usual 75/80w gearbox oil. Is this correct? doesnt seem right to me! Also, with having no level plug, how much should I put in? I know 2 litres is recommended but not sure if some will still be in there even after draining it, have read in some old posts the people are putting around 1.7litres in before it comes out of the level plug,

any help appreciated,

Rich

Ryan

The bit in the Haynes manual saying to use 10W40 in "pre-1988 models" is really talking about cars with the old XV/XW/XY engines - which had the gearbox in the sump and thus shared the same oil. All BE1/BE3 gearboxes use 70W80 regardless of age.

dicky20014

I thought that aswell, but when I re-checked it, it reads:

BE1, and BE3 transmissions:

Pre-August 1987...............................Multigrade engine oil, viscocity SAE 10W/40 or 15W/40, to API SG/CD

I think its lying to us! :lol:

welshpug

the filler/level plug is on the front next to the clutch arm.

Miles

The early books did say that, I remember reading it and thinking the same abit 20+ years ago, but use the 75/80 in there as all the internals are the same bar the 1984/5 ones which use metal selector forks

Slo

Ive got the early book here and in chapter 13 revision it says BE1/5 lubrication (from august 1987) so spot some big confusion there and possibly some knackered gearboxes along the way, well mine is an e reg 1987 *sigh* so i shall go with my gut and see what the old stuff smells like as used engine oil smells (not too bad) completely different to used transmission oil (disgusting) dead giveaway really although some other div down the line may have just thought sod it and put the wrong stuff in to start with hmmm

Miles

They don;t last long with the wrong oil in

dicky20014

Ok thanks for that, ill stick with the 75/80 then :)

Sign in to follow this