• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
halfcake

Gti 6 Conversion

halfcake

I have started doing an engine conversion on my 1.6 GTi, the engine is out and I am going to replace with a GTi 6 engine. Could do with help on parts I will need to buy to do this conversion?! I know I can buy a manifold made specifically for this conversion so thats a good start. Please please help as this is my first project and I know there are some seriously clever people out there!!

Thanks

chipstick

Do some research on here. There are many, many conversion and project threads on here explaining what is involved. You'll soon get to know what you are going to require and how much it's likely to cost you.

Theres a link in my sig below to my project thread. It goes in to some detail and shows pictures of most stages.

As I say to a lot of people who want to go down this route - research, research, research. Some evenings I spent more time on here looking at how to do something than I did the following evening outside carrying that task out. If anything it makes it more enjoyable and satisfying.

RE the manifold, many people offer reangled manifolds. It's worth considering how you are going to continue backwards with your system - I mean someone can reangle one to miss your bulkhead, but you will still need something making up to meet this unless you purchase a reangled downpipe from the same seller.

If you want to make it harder than it needs to be, do what I did and buy a system with reangled downpipe and have to test fit, cut and bend the manifold to meet it - meant the engine had to go in and out several times.

There is always the extended fork option to retain the original manifold, but this isn't always recommended - although a 205 GTi6 I am currently breaking had run this way for 4 years with no issues.

Get stuck in, read up on as many threads as you can and enjoy it.

• Like 1

damo

parts list in my build thread, as mentioned its been covered a few times :) I'd say the hardest part is sourcing the parts :) well the bit that takes the time but thank fully people help out etc but I listed what I had from my notes anyway.

Sign in to follow this