• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
clen666

Recommended Mi16 Clutch For High Power

clen666

Evening all,

I'm looking at replacing the clutch on my gti6 engine with an mi clutch.

The engine will be a high boost S/C engine, so the clutch will need to cope with the extra power.

Any recommendations?

Thanks, Graeme

Edited by clen666

DrSarty

Have you searched the threads with supercharged engines?

IIRC, the standard GTI6 or Mi16 clutches are used currently on engines hitting 260bhp. Mine (normally aspirated 2.2) was 240ish at the fly.

I have a Technicluth 'Fast road' now, but not due to any issues with previous clutches; only to avoid any with ~200lbft of torque, although there may not have ever been any.

allanallen

As you say hi boost I take it your on about a lynx conversion?

If its a road car you might be ok with a standard Valeo clutch, the power ramps up steadily(compared to turbos) with centrifugal chargers so theyre fairly 'easy' on clutches and gearboxes.

welshpug

the torque isn't massive on these, also nice and progressive as mentioned, so you needn't get something harsh and difficult to use :)

clen666

Sorry, should have provided more details in the first post.

Car will be mainly track use, but kept road legal.

Will be c38-81 charger, I believe others have seen 300+lbs/ft with these?

Just I'm unsure on what the standard mi clutch is capable of, thanks for the replies so far

Razkin

Why would you want to replace the GTI-6/S16 clutch for an MI16(1.9) one? They are both 215mm, but the GTI-6 is a pull type, which can apply more pressure on the plate...

brumster

Well, if you do decide on a push-type uprated clutch, I had Helix make me a 6-plate solid centre item and it takes plenty of abuse. It's not seeing the torque you're after but it does get some abuse in terms of slipping it coming out of tight corners and hairpins - so far it's been bullet-proof. Having said that, when I was running just a 'normal' ~190bhp mi16 I used a standard Valeo for many years without any issue... when it came off it looked good as new. And that's motorsport use, remember.

clen666

I wanted to run the push clutch to get rid of the auto adjusting cable. I wasn't aware that the pull clutch was stronger by design.

Thanks for the suggestions so far

wicked

With that kind of torque, I would play it safe and go for an uprated clutch like OMP or Helix.

Nothing more annoying than have the build finished and end up with a slipping clutch...

Tom Fenton

300+lbs/ft

If that truly is the case then forget a standard Mi clutch. My experience is that they will just about hold onto 205 ftlb. Much more and I'm sure you'd be into problems.

welshpug

They're circa 280lbft@7k for high Lynx boost.

highboostdyno.jpg

clen666

Mei, if that not a c30-94 charger?

Has anyone used 'spec' clutches?

welshpug

dont know, that's just straight off the Lynx website.

Alastairh

I had a Helix paddle clutch in my old T16. Felt really good. Was never a chore day to day driving unlike some paddle clutches. Would buy another if i needed one for the power.

Al

clen666

Yeah a few people have said good things about helix, aren't they a bit pricey though?

That's the reason for suggesting the 'spec' clutch, as it seems they can be had for a good price

Sign in to follow this