• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pip470

Project Cab

pip470

Hi , I wanted to start a thread as i know there was a lot of interest in this car. Ellis has done a fantastic job on the car and I look forward to having many enjoyable memories with the cab.

My plans.

Well I think this summer has a little more to give, (well i hope so anyway) so I plan on getting the car back on the road with a gti 6 engine as soon as i can. I have a bottom end I rebuilt just after the euro trip, so i will couple that with the head already on this engine after a skim, new head gasket and a new timing belt and then i should be on the road.

My long term goals are to build a turbo engine as i love the noises and the surge of torque. That should make a really enjoyable summer vehicle. I will get a lot of enjoyment from keeping this car shiny and clean as its in such good condition. Heres a pic after i picked it up.

post-8104-0-95871800-1339529290_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

sensualt101

i look forward to seeing how you progress with this phil :)

pip470

Engine is out and the head is off. Ive ordered all the bits so were still on target for completing by the end of the week. Even the Manchester rain cant stop play.

post-8104-0-12471300-1339609249_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

marksorrento205

Glad to see this has found a good home!

Stephen W

I love this car! Glad to see it didn't get broken and went on to a good home. Will follow this one closely :)

pip470

So update time. Head gasket is done and the car is on the road. I can not believe how much attention this car gets. I literally had a girl run over to me in the petrol station asking me if it was for sale. Im not one for attention so i will have to get used to that.

So whats next, well there are some little niggles which i will address on here as an when i do them. Nothing not to be expected from such an old car.

Todays project: Project missfire.

After doing the head gasket the car would misfire when hot and run on three cylinders, whilst holding the revs and the car misfiring i disconnected one by one the supply to the fuel injectors, This showed it was cam-belt end number 1 cylinder that was misfiring as it made no differance to the engine note when disconnected. Ordered a cheap Italian coil pack for £30, 4 new spark plugs and now it ran good as gold with no misfire. I love it when a plan comes together. Not sure of the quality of the coil pack but time will tell.

Tomorrows project: Project drive shafts under compression.

Now ive never come across this before but when i was connecting the engine up i found it very difficult to get the offside drive shaft and hub to line up with the hub and bottom ball joint. After i had managed it there is no lateral play backwards and forwards of either of the nearside or offside shafts. This causes the engine to shift from side to side as the shaft rotates. Not good. I have done some searching and a few other people have had the same problem but there was no solution or definitive cause found.

It could be because the car is quite low but i dont think so because even with the car jacked up and the wishbone drooping it does the same.

So i see a solution will be to fit bottom arms from a 309 to give that extra bit of length allowing the shaft not to be in compression. The intermediate bearing is also whining a little every now and again so a new shaft will be the order of the day too. I just hope its no raining. Heres a pic when i recently washed it.

post-8104-0-94172500-1343333618_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

MiniGibbo

Car looks great and the plans sound good..!

pip470

Project driveshafts cont.

Well i have fitted the new drive shaft and 309 bottom arms and this is what i found out. The wheel hub end of the drive shaft is fixed so even with the new shaft and the new wishbones in, it still does not move in and out. DOH! However, it is not shifting the engine over on every revolution of the shaft so thats a result. Had the tracking set up too because of how much the new wish bones affect the toe out. Had it set to parallel and will give it some time to get used to it.

post-8104-0-37432400-1343981545_thumb.jpgpost-8104-0-07130800-1343981558_thumb.jpg

I also changed engine oil, fitted a new pressure transmitter and oil temp as they were not working. Changed the gearbox oil and fitted new seals to that too. The speedo i have not managed to get working yet, I though i had fixed it yesterday as i noticed at some point it has had a snapped cable and the snapped bit was still in the shaft with a cog on the end, i changed it with another i had in the garage but still no joy. next i will check if its plugged into the back of the speedo.

Next project,

Project get the car to turn off with the key.

The car will only stop with the removal of the immobiliser key. The immobiliser key seems to be giving a constant live to the fuel pump. Will remove the panel and see how its wired up.

• Like 1

TT205

Great Stuff!

You're enjoying this aren't you :D

pip470

I am enjoying it really. Its a lot different to my other project. Ive promised myself that this car remains fun and reliable. If there's a meet close by i want to be able to go as ive missed to many over the past couple of years. If only we had a summer I would enjoy it that little bit more. Today is a depressing day as its Ultimate Street Car at Santa Pod and i wanted to go but i have work early Sunday morning.

Project get the car to turn off with the key.

Ok so i had a look at the electrics and i found a live that was spliced in to the fuel pump wire. Disconnected it and removed the old school immobiliser whilst i was there along with lots of wires from past alarms. Now starts and stops with the key. Perfect.

post-8104-0-26974200-1344000259_thumb.jpg

jord294

Top engine mount ok and not collapsed. I had similar symptoms on my 205 Gti. Even skip brown never spotted it

When I removed the mount, it was almost half the size of the new one

ellis

glad to see the car is going again, god it looks so good. I love my new honda, the power is somthing else but i do miss this cheeky little car.

SurGie

Great looking cab, paint looks spotless.

Will follow this project with interest.

stufarri

It was up for sale not long ago...........

pip470

So it all came clean in the wash.

I have a new landlord. I don't have to buy the property i rent and I got to keep the cab due to the ebayer not sticking to his word. So its all good, except.......

post-8104-0-96480400-1361349799_thumb.jpg

So the box is off, I have another be1 1.9 box and im going to fit my Kaaz diff to the cab and buy a new one for my drag car.

I'm also going to replace the front disk and pads and i have a window and seal from ebay so ill have ago at making that better too.

Amazing what a bit of sun does for the morale.

Update soon when its back on the road all clean and shiney.

post-8104-0-45310200-1361349833_thumb.jpg

Edited by pip470
  • Like 1

Nick_j_r

So you didn't sell it in the end? I have listed mine for sale about 3 times and always seem to end up keeping it! This is giving me inspiration to do mine

pip470

Engine out today as i want to take the head of and change it as i suspect there may be a valve not quite seating right. I also wanted to get the exhaust manifold off as it is cracked so will need welding.

Tried fitting my kaaz but ran into difficulty, at first i though it was because it was hitting the inside of the casing and locking up but i think its the bearing is damaged, so i will replace them tomorrow and see if it works.

post-8104-0-21778600-1361476566_thumb.jpg

Out once again.

pip470

Sorry Nick I missed your post. No I never sold it, which I am happy about.

Engine is back in and starting with full compression so I will strip the other head to find the cause.

Changed the diff bearings but it still locked up, found where I had to remove the metal and sorted that.

Annoyingly the grumble is still there so the last thing I can think it is is the wheel bearings, hopefully i will have those done on thursday ready for the lakes trip on friday and then Santa Pod for Saturday and Sunday for The Fast Show. What a weekend ahead, I can not wait.

I have started cleaning the interior tonight and if its nice tomorrow I will finish of making it look its best.

Roll on summer!

• Like 1

pip470

Well, just to update this thread as i still have this car after a few times on ebay. I changed the wheel bearings and the grumbling noise is now a distant memory.

I had one guy come to view the car but sods law on the test drive the car overheated and started misfiring. He wasn't impressed. The very next day i changed the fan switch and another coilpack and all was well again. However after changing the parts and sitting in the car with the engine running waiting for the fan to kick in which it did i thought i would take it for a test drive. Whilst joining the motor way the bonnet sprang up blocking my view. Nightmare. The bonnet is creased but luckily nothing else is damaged.

Now im stuck in a predicament as the car only got up to £1550 and its going to cost me around £250 to put right and i just dont want to put anymore money into this car if i cant even get £1600 for it.

If i break it it would be such a shame but i have to get some money back due to other projects.

If money was no object then there would be no problem but owning 4 cars and a van is proving one too many.

Need help.

post-8104-0-05333100-1370377384_thumb.jpg

dcc

fit a new bonnet and get it wrapped ?

matty_gti

Sell it to me ;)

pip470

£1500 and its yours to drive away