• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mikeygulley

'6'd 205 Running Issue When Driving

mikeygulley

I know there have been a few of these threads recently but I have tried a few different suggestions and searched quite a lot.

What's happening is whilst driving and pulling slowly or hard through the revs, the car feels like its holding back right up until it gets to a certain point and then releases.

A way for me to explain is its like driving an auto and it changing gear.

This happens in every gear and when pulling away from a stand still it seems to be worse.

I have changed sensors including MAP, TPS and Air Temp. I also changed the TB not long back. I have tried disconnecting the Lambda to see if it makes a difference (which it didn't) and cleaning multiplugs on all other sensors. I have also checked for air leaks etc.

I have had issues with the ICV, I have tried a few different ones which always results in me having to restrict the intake to lower the idle. I do this using a piece of 15mm copper and closing down until the idle is reasonable. My feeling is this may be the cause but I'm not sure??

Whenever I change the ICV and do the whole reset thing it all seems to fine until I take the car for a drive and idle gets quite a bit higher. I have also tried leaving it like this for a week or so but nothing changed over time. So went back to closing it down.

Any help would be great.

Many thanks,

Mike

dcc

have you got the correct VSS ?

ade 4wd

Is the VSS on the gearbox connected and working?

mikeygulley

Yes this is the speed sensor which the speedo worm drive also goes into??

I have this one -> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-406-306-93-SPEED-SENSOR-RPM-GAUGE-616024-/220878490174?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item336d624a3e

I purchased it when I first did the conversion about 2 years ago. I had forgotten about this and haven't given it a clean up. How do I test it?

dcc

it only effects it up to 1500rpm or so, have you a spare fuel pump?

A friends care had 3 issues, wrong vss, no lambda and dead fuel pump. after these were sorted, all was good :)

ade 4wd

That is the correct VSS. You could check that there is 12V and earth on the connecter. Also check there is a connection between the VSS and engine ECU.

mikeygulley

I do have a few spare fuel pumps, I will give it a go.

That is the correct VSS. You could check that there is 12V and earth on the connecter. Also check there is a connection between the VSS and engine ECU.

I will also have a go at this.

I'm getting better with the old multimeter. :)

mikeygulley

Just to confirm, is the 1900 fuel pump okay to use or should I get a different one?

One thing that does happen in regards to the fuel pump is when I turn the ignition to the second click the fuel pump runs but doesn't stop. Is this normal? I'm sure when I had the original engine it used to prime/fill the rail then stop, but I could be wrong?

Many thanks

Mike

dcc

if wired properly, should stop after a few seconds.

mikeygulley

Another quick question I have is about the exhaust system.

I'm using a modded down pipe (re-angled to fit), standard (new) centre section and a scorpian back box I had lying around at the yard.

My question is does the standard centre section restrict/strangle the '6 motor??

Also could someone enlighten me on my fuel pump question above, would be much apreciated.

Mike :)

cheesegrater

That Icv doesn't sound right to me. Mine is just a 15mm pipe with a filter on the end. It should be able to cope with what ever you have on it. My fuel pump cuts out after 10 secs or so.

allye

My question is does the standard centre section restrict/strangle the '6 motor??

Also could someone enlighten me on my fuel pump question above, would be much apreciated.

Mike :)

Depends which age car the exhaust is from, the earlier cars had smaller diameter items, where as the later ones had slightly larger exhausts ideal for a 6 engine. The fuel pump from a 1.9GTI is fine for use with the 6' engine as thats what 99% of people use.

mikeygulley
That Icv doesn't sound right to me. Mine is just a 15mm pipe with a filter on the end. It should be able to cope with what ever you have on it. My fuel pump cuts out after 10 secs or so.

Hmmmmm, Ive had it with the ICV, its getting quite frustrating! I'm going to purchase another and give it a go!

As for the fuel pump, this has NEVER just 'primed' it just runs continuously from the secong click on the ignition. :/

Depends which age car the exhaust is from, the earlier cars had smaller diameter items, where as the later ones had slightly larger exhausts ideal for a 6 engine. The fuel pump from a 1.9GTI is fine for use with the 6' engine as thats what 99% of people use.

I hadn't realised this, I have the slip joint type. The car is an '88 Ph1.5 so I guess I'l have a nose for a Ph2 system.

mikeygulley

I have managed to sort this now! :)

Just for future reference it was indeed the fuel pump! The car runs smoothly through the gears now and doesn't bog right down when pulling away any more.

Thanks for the advice. Hoping to get a better reading from the RR next time (got 144 last time with the issues I was having).

pip470

Always nice to hear problems sorted. Congrats.

Anthony

As for the fuel pump, this has NEVER just 'primed' it just runs continuously from the secong click on the ignition. :/

Good to hear that you've sorted the performance/running issue, but you really do need to look into the above - that's not correct and if the pump is running continuously, that's somewhat dangerous in the event of an accident.

Spiky

I would be checking the wiring for the fuel pump, if it's runningall the time, it's either

1 faulty double relay

2 someone hasnt wired up the pump right, it should be fed from the 6 pin plug into the normal 205 loom, sounds like it might be off an ignition feed

Edited by Spiky

welshpug

Just to confirm, is the 1900 fuel pump okay to use or should I get a different one?

no, the gti6 has a double relay near the ecu, the original Tachymetric relay is not used and shuld not be present as its a different wiring loom totally.

Spiky

1900 fuel pump is fine for gti6

As long as its healthy

mikeygulley

I would be checking the wiring for the fuel pump, if it's runningall the time, it's either

1 faulty double relay

2 someone hasnt wired up the pump right, it should be fed from the 6 pin plug into the normal 205 loom, sounds like it might be off an ignition feed

I didn't do the loom myself so not massively familiar with a few things.

Is the double relay the black box which is already on the 16v loom originally? If so is it the same as a 2l turbo one? If it is I will swap my old mans in to test it.

When you say 6 pin plug, is this one of the brown connectors under the steering column in the car?

Cheers,

Mike

Anthony

It may be the same as the turbo one, but you would need to check, as earlier cars used a similar looking but different relay. Your description sounds about right - black or brown about 6cm or so, and located near the ECU.

The brown multiplug Spiky mentions is indeed one of the two in the drivers footwell. Fuel pump will be the thick white wire #76 assuming that the original wiring and pins were retained.

Edited by Anthony
Correcting wire number

chipstick

Is the fuel pump wire not #76? Is on my '89 and also the '93 here.

Spiky

It's normally a big white wire in the 6 pin plug :)

Anthony

Is the fuel pump wire not #76? Is on my '89 and also the '93 here.

Yes it is, so no idea why I put 74 - brain/finger troubles... :blush:

mikeygulley

Ok so just had a gander at the 6 pin multiplug, on the car side there are 5 wires, 2 blue, an earth, a small red and a white (76). On the engine side there are only 4 wires, 2 blues,an earth and a white which is connected to the 76. I am assuming this is correct??

I might be way off the mark on this next question but the red small wire which ISN'T connected to anything on the engine side, would this be something to do with the rev counter? Mine hasn't worked since I did the conversion a couple of years ago. I have tried 3 different ways of getting to work with no luck.

@Spiky - Do you still sell the rev counter looms?? My father would also need one for his 2l turbo too, our looms were done by the same guy.

Many thanks.

Sign in to follow this