• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
starky5

Lower Engine Bush

starky5

My lower engine bush is in need of replacement, i was just about to order a BBM group N set and i remembered i have seen people suggestion using the 306 bush. I have had a search but cant find much about it.

My question is which should i go for? I have a 1.9 road car but have a 4-2-1 manifold which under hard gear changed knocks on the sub frame.

Thanks

Baz

GpN ones are fairly harsh, especially for the first few k miles.

If the car's predominantly a road car and you don't want the associated noise transfer with a stiffer bush, perhaps try a TD item, part number 1809.21 - just slightly firmer than a standard one.

starky5

The car is purely a road car was just trying to limit the manifold knocking. Ill try the TD bush then i imagine it will be a world stiffer than my nackered bush!

Thanks

O on a related note then, i was going to get the BBM grp A fork bush. Is there another bush i should be looking at or will this be ok with the TD engine bush?

Edited by starky5

Miles

The fork bush the 106 item is better, not sure if you can buy it on it's own thou, not looked into it yet

starky5

The fork bush the 106 item is better, not sure if you can buy it on it's own thou, not looked into it yet

The standard 106 item or the BBM equivalent?

Miles

Std one, It's like the 205 wishbone bush with a metal ring in there, More than enough on anything

Anthony

The lower engine mount bush alone is fine as Group N will little increase in NVH - it's when you put the whole Group N kit on that things become noticeably harsher inside the cabin, especially in the first few hundred miles as Baz mentioned.

The lower bush alone I almost consider a Group N one to almost be a "must fit" item, especially in your case with a 4 branch manifold.

The 406 TD ones are stiffer than standard and were a good option for road cars, but the price of them has increased so much in the past couple of years that you might as well (IMO) go for the Group N item on the lower mount - the difference in NVH inside the cabin between them (having run both previously) is minimal.

I would however strongtly recommend against a solid (Group;A?) fork bush on a road car, as it's surprising how much difference that makes in terms of NVH and people I know that have fitted them on road going cars have ended up removing them and going back to standard. If you can get the 106 one that Miles mentions then that might be a good idea, otherwise just keep the 205 one assuming that it's still in serviceable condition.

starky5

Thanks for all you help i have just ordered a standard fork bush from Peugeot and a Grp N lower bush from Baker BM. Providing the car goes through its MOT ok i will then replace the other engine mounts with standard ones as they are all looking tired!

welshpug

the main 70mm 205 TD bush is the same as the gti one, as is the fork bush, the fork bush is also the same as many 406's 306's etc, and on the 406 the upper 70mm bush is the same, lower 70mm one is different.

Baz

The lower engine mount bush alone is fine as Group N will little increase in NVH - it's when you put the whole Group N kit on that things become noticeably harsher inside the cabin, especially in the first few hundred miles as Baz mentioned.

The lower bush alone I almost consider a Group N one to almost be a "must fit" item, especially in your case with a 4 branch manifold.

The 406 TD ones are stiffer than standard and were a good option for road cars, but the price of them has increased so much in the past couple of years that you might as well (IMO) go for the Group N item on the lower mount - the difference in NVH inside the cabin between them (having run both previously) is minimal.

I would however strongtly recommend against a solid (Group;A?) fork bush on a road car, as it's surprising how much difference that makes in terms of NVH and people I know that have fitted them on road going cars have ended up removing them and going back to standard. If you can get the 106 one that Miles mentions then that might be a good idea, otherwise just keep the 205 one assuming that it's still in serviceable condition.

You're right, the TD bush seems to have doubled in price since a few years ago now at around £25!!

Echo'ing the above also, certainly the GpN top mount buffers seem to carry alot of NVH through to the cabin too, so you might not want to use those.

chipstick

As well as a solid lower mount I use a 306 one piece top mount buffer and when cold the car will vibrate quite noticeably. When warmed up it is fine.

Sign in to follow this