• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
starky5

Cv Boots Split

starky5

Hi,

With my MOT coming up i guess i should sort out my split CV boot. The inner boot on the drive side shaft has gone. Can you replace the boots with the drive shafts on the car? Also are the universal stretch ones on ebay worth bothering with?

I had a good look at the shafts and they look alright other than the one boot but there is the smallest amount of play back and forth towards the gear box. Im guessing this is normal as they just push into the gear box of is this a sign of wear?

Thanks

Andrew

welshpug

I would certainly avoid stretch boots like the plauge, other than refilling the transmission oil it is no more work to remove the shaft fully than to do it in situ, infact probably far easier and cleaner to remove and do it off the car.

There will be a small amount of float in the shaft itself, it is held into the outer CV by a spring clip, and simply slides in the inner tripod joint against a spring.

starky5

i thought that would be that case with the small amount of movement.

Right on ill order up some proper boots and pop the shafts off, as its the drivers side that goes through the engine mount bracket does it come out easily enough? as in there no special trick to it?

Thanks

pugdamo

Only just noticed your location,havent seen your car around,looks very nice.

As for the shaft just undo the 2 11mm nuts on the bolts that hold the shaft into the housing,you only need to undo the nuts onto the last couple of threads,then turn the bolt 180° (the head of the bolt is like a hockey stick,it will all make sense when you see it,lol)then just tap the shaft out,they can be tight in the housing but nothing a bit of gentle persuasion wont sort.

MiniGibbo

I tried stretch boots and f***ed two of them..

They nearly go on them split, absolute ballache imo

starky5

Only just noticed your location,havent seen your car around,looks very nice.

As for the shaft just undo the 2 11mm nuts on the bolts that hold the shaft into the housing,you only need to undo the nuts onto the last couple of threads,then turn the bolt 180° (the head of the bolt is like a hockey stick,it will all make sense when you see it,lol)then just tap the shaft out,they can be tight in the housing but nothing a bit of gentle persuasion wont sort.

Thanks, looks nicer in photos than real life haha!

Ideal, looks like thats next weekends job sorted then! All thats left after than is to keep my fingers crossed for the MOT! haha

toddydal

i put a stretchy boot on over 2yrs ago and its still holding out,i put mine on with a air tool that stretchs the boot open so it just slip over the cv joint easyiest thing ive ever used

omega

is there any reason you cant repair a boot with somrthing like a bike repair kit?

welshpug

only the grease and crap that stops it sticking, and if yo go to all the effort of taking it apart and cleaning, you might as well stick a new one on.

chipstick

It's amazing the amount of grease that gets flung from the smallest nick.

I made a schoolboy error when fitting coilovers to my cup an having one side fitted and the final side jacked up to remove the original strut. When i took the shock out the arb forced the shock down on to the boot and made the slightest mark on it which went through.

pugdamo

IMO repairing boots is completely pointless because as welshpug said it never works because of the grease,personally iv never had a problem with stretchy boots,iv fitted loads at work and never had any problems but saying that i do like to fit a proper boot to my own cars,doesnt take much longer and its a good opportunity to change gear oil if you havnt already done it

James504

IMO repairing boots is completely pointless because as welshpug said it never works because of the grease,personally iv never had a problem with stretchy boots,iv fitted loads at work and never had any problems but saying that i do like to fit a proper boot to my own cars,doesnt take much longer and its a good opportunity to change gear oil if you havnt already done it

I have successfully repaired a couple of cv boots with small (1cm or less) cuts in the boot. I used the geniune black loctite gasket goo. Clean the outside of the boot down. Spread it over the cut and let it cure for 2-3 hours.

steve@cornwall

Boots can be repaired in situ as a last resort. If you're on a tight budget its not too bad, but as the grease etc will have been lost - you will need to eventually budget for a new driveshaft IMO. Clean it down with a cloth and meths, rough the area with scotchpad and apply a liberal amount of tiger seal. Job done (for now) wont need tracking re done either!. That said, being a 1.9, theres a very good chance that you will have the shafts where the tripod is secured to the shaft with a circlip. These are really very easy to replace the boot. I usually release the bottom balljoint and track rod end, release the boot and pulling the hub, split the shaft. Working under the car, remove the circlip from the driveshaft, pull off the tripod (complete with bearings as theses should be the type that don't fall apart ) and the old boot. slide the new boot on, then the tripod, fill with grease and reassemble) With this method you neednt drain the gearbox oil or replace the driveshaft seal when doing the drivers side as the shaft stays in the gearbox :D

starky5

Just about to order my boots and two different ones are listed for the outer boot. One is 88mm one end and 24mm the other and the other is 77mm one end and 20mm the other. The car is parked up in a barn so i cant have a quick look, its there anyway i can work it out without measuring? The car is a 1990 H reg 1.9 gti

Thanks

welshpug

really gotta go and have a look tbh with the age of these vehicles.

starky5

thought that would be that case, will have to find my way over there at some point thanks

Callum

While topping up my gearbox oil I noticed the n/s outer cv boot has split in 2 so I need to replace it. I've looked on eBay using a part number I got from on here and it came up with a couple different types of boot could anyone give me some advice on them I want to use a oe one if I can.

Screenshot_20181119-174621_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20181119-174610_eBay.jpg

Tom Fenton

Buy the GKN boot from Euro Car Parts.

Ozymandis

I wouldnt buy either of those.

Further to this: The current GKN ones from eurocrap/carparts4less arent the same as the original Peugeot ones anymore, they are flimsier and dont last like they used to. I`m half afraid eurocrap may have bought a license for GKN branded ones and are trading on the name?

Comparing an old stock peugeot one to the current GKN  they are not the same.

I have been buying old stock genuine for a while now.

Callum

Would you sell one of the ones you've have? I've realised the size I need is 24mm inner and 88mm and the ones in the pictures above aren't that size anyway. I found this one which is the same as what's fitted on the o/s i think as that also has the orange rings and the one below I've found on eBay. Any thoughts?

Screenshot_20181120-095740_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20181120-095754_Samsung Internet.jpg

welshpug

the gkn one like tom said have been decent, the top one is closest you'll get to oem without buying at a dealer, does have the clip for the joint as well which many do not come with.

Callum

Great thanks for your reply I wasn't aware you could still get them from the dealer 

Ozymandis

Lobro is part of GKN, go with that one.

Callum

I did but i couldn't find it anywhere other than auto doc hopefully it doesn't take ages to come and is correct when it does arrive