• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Joe01772

Engine Conversion Advice Needed

flyfisher

or buy my 205mi16 see for sale section

kyepan

There are some well rebuild provenly powerful engines kicking about on here for sale if you dig.

converting on a budget is fine, and all of your compromises will come back to you eventually.

Get a loom made up by someone who knows how to do them properly, a plug and play loom, get it new from a reputable person on here (Miles / sandy), not second hand unless you can guarantee the quality.

Make sure your exhaust manifold and exhaust is of good enough quality that you won't have to touch it for a number of years.

If you can spare the expense go aftermarket with the management for anything that has an old style flap AFM, purely because diagnosing problems is more difficult, and replacement parts are getting rarer and more expensive, and most of the components floating around are well past their best.

If you go turbo, you have options, there is a lovely little 1.6 on here making 205 bhp and over 200ft lbs of torque.. that's enough for anyone. Converting your's to low boost would only require decent intercooling, loom, ecu, injectors, turbo, manifold, piping... ...

J

• Like 1

engine killer

I couldn't get a new engine oil gauge from a dealer for my MI16 (XU9J4) engine as it is already on the NFP (Not For Production) list. So parts availability probably becoming a bigger issue. A newer engine should be considered too, such as EW10J4S.

http://forum.205gtid...howtopic=135735

Edited by engine killer

bassline21

And the s16 engine doesn't have the notorious flat spot.

• Like 1

bassline21

Or 8v turbo. I will not give up!! Lol.

DamirGTI

Reworked 1.9 8v with ported head , with upped CR , lightened bottom end , 1.6 flywheel and an 1.6 gearbox .. not expensive to do , and it goes like a stink ... blows the s*it of the MI16/GTI6 on a hill-climb curvy roads , A and B roads as well though not on an long open roads (motorways) . And it's bullet proof (i have one as a daily drive in my 205 , built it all myself with a very sensible budget , dunno how long i have it ... more than 6/7 years me thinks , but it just keep on going no probs what so ever just regular service fill up with petrol and off i go wherever i want i got there ... never let me down yet and i'm not a slow driver !)

.. or

Turbocharged 1.9 8v (the Motronic one with a DKZ engine , i.e. lower compression ..) ...

(my next engine build plan :))

I was hot for some time for 16v conversions , but as the days got by and as i tried driving some 16v i've kinda gave up on the 16v's .

Each to his own i guess ... myself i prefer low weight ally tuned 8v's .

Damir B)

bassline21

I'm with you on that one. Now I think about it only sixteen valve I driven is my van. Lol. Or at least what I owned.

Sign in to follow this