• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Joe01772

Engine Conversion Advice Needed

Joe01772

Hi, I have a 1985/6 205 1.6 gti and I'm desperate to do an engine conversion.

Just wondering what will be the best engine to put in to meet the age of the car and the existing mountings, driveshafts, gearbox etc

Phase2 vts, 406 Sri (turbo), 1.9 gti, mi16??

Any advice or help much appreciated thanks.

welshpug

best engine for the age of the car? either a nicely refreshed standard 1.6, or whatever takes your fancy.

Joe01772

Thanks, do you think a phase2 vts will work alright in there?

Daviewonder

Xsara or Saxo?

dcc

I would put a v8 in it myself.

either that or sell a lovely standard car and buy one already converted

• Like 2

BlueBolt

I would put a v8 in it myself.

Why stop with the 8 cylinder?? Why not find yourself a v12 and put the front seats in the back and a little weld here and there and say bye-bye to just about everything around?? Lmao

On a more positive note, chuck a Zsara vts engine and box in...

• Like 1

damien

what do you want from the car?

track beast?

b-road blast?

restoration?

cheap fun?

Sinbad

Or just put another 1.6 in,buy a can of beer and follow the guide to making the v8 sound with the can lol!!

1.6 v8!!

Joe01772

Xsara or Saxo?

Saxo m8

Edited by Joe01772

Joe01772

what do you want from the car?

track beast?

b-road blast?

restoration?

cheap fun?

Track beast m8 :)

Edited by Joe01772

Joe01772

Thinking about what "dcc" said, so I'm going to look at a 1.9 gti mi16 conversion tommorow :)

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll let u know what I decide.

Daviewonder

There's a progress thread on here somewhere with a 205 Rallye having a Saxo VTS engine fitted. It's a good thread with lots of info.

Joe01772

Okay thanks m8 I'll have a look :)

Liquid_106

What's your budget as that will surely govern what you can do?

An MI will possibly need a (part) rebuild, so you'll need to factor that cost in as well as the initial outlay for the engine (unless you're not bothered and will just 'chuck' it in). You'll just need to worry about the wiring then as your current shafts / box will fit, although might not be the best combination for an MI. (1.9 box or play with the FD?)

A Paxo VTS/GTi engine will be cheaper to buy as there's loads of lower mileage ones knocking round (according to the watch I have on eBay), but you'll need to think about the engine mounts for the TU as they're different to the XU. You'll also need to swap the wiring loom over (not to sure how difficult it is to splice into the GTi interior / dash loom) and also gearbox / shafts & hubs(?). Check this thread for example, as it has all the details that I'm not really that sure on.

Each option has it's own +ve & -ve so it really comes down to you're more happy rebuilding an engine or making it fit - taking a simplistic view. ;)

• Like 1

Joe01772

What's your budget as that will surely govern what you can do?

An MI will possibly need a (part) rebuild, so you'll need to factor that cost in as well as the initial outlay for the engine (unless you're not bothered and will just 'chuck' it in). You'll just need to worry about the wiring then as your current shafts / box will fit, although might not be the best combination for an MI. (1.9 box or play with the FD?)

A Paxo VTS/GTi engine will be cheaper to buy as there's loads of lower mileage ones knocking round (according to the watch I have on eBay), but you'll need to think about the engine mounts for the TU as they're different to the XU. You'll also need to swap the wiring loom over (not to sure how difficult it is to splice into the GTi interior / dash loom) and also gearbox / shafts & hubs(?). Check this thread for example, as it has all the details that I'm not really that sure on.

Each option has it's own +ve & -ve so it really comes down to you're more happy rebuilding an engine or making it fit - taking a simplistic view. ;)

Thanks for the advice m8, well I'm going too look at another car today a 205 1.9 gti converted to a mi16 so will let u all know how I get on.

Thanks again :)

Edited by Joe01772

Carbs4me

Id just go with the 406 SRI engine after the cost ive dumped into my Mi16 and its still not finished! I could have had a standard 1.9 8v Turbo SRI lump up and running by now if i had properly thought about it

welshpug

A turbo will cost more than an MI, there's so much crap to try and fit in the engine bay where the MI is pretty simple, simpler still with an aftermarket ecu and throttle bodies... :ph34r:

• Like 1

aarontrophy

sri turbo engine :D

• Like 1

brumster

Don't put a 1.9 mi in.... they surge....

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Karl

sack everything and go gti - 6 with your 1.6 box loads info on here and youll be able to do it yourself spiky and miles sell the plug and play looms aswell so for me tht is by fa the best option and youll be well happy with the result the gti6 is more reliable newer and just as quickas an mi

• Like 1

aarontrophy

Gti 6 are great in a 205 :)

• Like 1

Miles

I have to disagree there, Even thou I have done loads

• Like 1

damo

I think a gti 6 is a good middle ground. ive found its not too different then my 1.9 8v with a 1.6 box and fly wheel. The advantage with it is the gti 6 lump has longer legs so as the 8v was dying off the 6 lump comes alive.

For the difference in power i was expecting more from a gti6 conversion but it goes well just needs to be thrashed :) I have no Mi experience but those engines are old now and probably will cost a arm and a leg to get one rebuilt etc.

I wanted to go mi16 but ended up dropping the gti 6 lump into my cti.

• Like 1

GLPoomobile

I have no Mi experience but those engines are old now and probably will cost a arm and a leg to get one rebuilt etc.

I have to disagree with this. 6's are no spring chickens these days, and you'd have to be quite lucky to find a decent low mileage one. Therefore I think the majority are as likely to need a rebuild as any Mi will. And I'm sure the rebuild costs must be comparable.

Of course the downside with the Mi is the limitations of the crappy AFM and the throttle body being prone to wear, which add an small additional cost and hassle on top of the actual rebuild.

I've never driven a 6, but from the way people talk it sounds to me like the old argument between the 1.6 and the 1.9 8Vs. I always preferred the 1.6, and I guess the GTI6 fans probably preferred the 1.9.

chipstick

For me it was always about the availability of parts and a touch more reliability. Plus I had 3 '6 lumps knocking around.

There are a fair amount of 'low' engines about really. I was lucky. 69,74 and 76k miles on each. I purely for the one which had the better history - the 74k one opposed for picking the lowest milage one.

I'l shortly have another fairly low milage lump from the Xsara I've run for a year without missing a beat, so it's only fair I find a shell to put that in really :lol:

Sign in to follow this