• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
joed66

205 Xs Questions

jonXS

just a quick question. does anybody no what this symbol means on the dash of an xs it only comes on in the rain and its in the top left of the speedo it looks like this (O) but the side lines are dotted. for some reason im thinking its brakes pad warning light?

try taking a photo of it, ive never come across the symbol in mine <_<

Miles

didn;t the 1988 models use the XY engine, Thought the TU was around 1989 on

joed66

Mines an 1988 and is running a tu3s engine yer I will try have to and catch it when its on.

GeorgeXS

The TU3S came in late 1988 so yours will be an early one with it in.

The picture of yours in your profile pic looks exactly like my old one, have you only bought it fairly recently?

This is mine back in 2009:

P1010833.jpg

I sold it to a lad on here who lived in newcastle back in january.

GeorgeXS

Yours is my old car! Can see the letters of the numberplate on the slightly larger profile pic.

Doubt your mystery light is brake pad warning as the wires were taped up and redundant when I put some pads in.

That carb has always been an arse to set up, the float is araldited together which doesnt help, had a huge split in it!

You can get spares for them, look up gower lee for a rebuild kit, they quoted one for me about 2 years ago.

VND

Yup, I had that after George, I could never get it to run right, and I sold it to Richard in Leeds.

It's been around the doors, but its a good solid car.

joed66

yes thats mine haha i love it lol got it from a guy at leeds i have another carb on it not seems to run a lot better then it did like. hot any pics of it yous 2? it has a great service history on it is there any faults on it i should look out for?

GeorgeXS

P1040242.jpg

P1040241.jpg

P1040240.jpg

P1040239.jpg

P1040238.jpg

P1040237.jpg

P1040236.jpg

P1040235.jpg

These are from when I sold the car.

I imagine the inners wings are getting quite bad now as they weren't ideal when I had it.

Heres how it looked when I got it back in '08

283a_3.jpg

joed66

Erm there not 2 bad but they will need done in a year or 2 I like the wheels with the black centre I might do mine like that but not black centres I want them champainge gold. Got a group N exhaust on order gonna keep it kind on original but a tad modified. Also I can get a get a set of 1.9 speedlines cheap but don't no if they fit herd the rear arches are different is this true?

johnnyboy666

yes the arches are different shape to gti's, it varies from car to car, but you can usually get away with running 195/45/15 tyres and avoid rubbing on the back, unless you have lots of rear passengers or its very low on the back

joed66

I rarely get people in the back and its standard hight gonna keep its standard hight I had a polo lowwered 110mm and couldn't get over speed ramps so liking the comfort of the standard springs

GeorgeXS

Im not entirely sure it is standard height, its rubbed in the back with 5 in and them wheels on, bloke who owned it before me was a proper car nut so wouldn't surprise me if he'd lowered it.

joed66

R right i will have a look at the torsion bars see if they look like they have been removed.

Also get the specs if a standard and measure to to check them. I wonder if it would of scrubbed with the standard XS steelies on?

allye

Doesn't look too low, could be a tired beam or missing bump stops. Standard 13' XS wheels wouldn't rub at all. Does it have standard front brakes though?

joed66

Yer its got standard front brakes 247mm solid discs. Gettin a 266mm vented upgrade

MiniGibbo

I've got 266's they're great..'

joed66

I just want them to lower the chance of brake fade and just for the bigger size behind the wheels. Are they a straight swap of the calipers carriers discs and master cylinder like can i put them straight on to my hubs?

MiniGibbo

They look huge behind wheels, mine under my s1 steels are about a fag paper away..

I have my steels balanced on the inside and the caliper ripped one of the 5g weights off lol

joed66

Haha what size are your steelies 14? Do they just bolt on?

MiniGibbo

Yeah rallye steels are 14's.

Dunno, mine came fitted to the car, i "think" you need base model hubs like we have to fit them but dont quote me on it.

allye

You won't fit any bigger brakes than standard behind standard 13' wheels.

joed66

Its a good job i have 1600 gti pepper pots on then lol

joed66

Do the XS exhaust come with a mid silencer as well as the rear been to get another and there only showing straight through pipes?

MiniGibbo

Apparently the xs didn't have a centre silencer.. That's what I've got fitted toy Rallye.

Miguelhbx

My XS has a centre silencer...

Even when i had stock exhaust and with both silencers if revved she would roar lol.

With a straight pipe you will lose backpressure on the exhaust and loose some performance....

For this cars, IMO , the best exhaust setup is 4-2-1 exhaust manifold, centre silencer and sports final silencer.

Let's the engine breath well but will keep the backpressure.