• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
fionn205

Tu Starting Problems

fionn205

I recently swopped the gearbox in my 1.1 205 for a 309 5-speed gearbox, all went well. While I had the engine out I also serviced it and then fit a new cambelt. I started the engine once and it fired up fine and idled.

It hasn't been started for about 3 months and today I fitted a new mechanical fuel pump and after cleaning the plugs it started but cut out as soon as I revved the engine. It wouldn't start so I again inspected the plugs they were a foul black, so I cleaned them but it won't start. Any suggestions why? It sounds like it turning over just fine. Could the timing be out or is it the new pump?

allye

establish if you have fuel or a spark first. However if its been sat for a while it could be bad fuel or clogged up carb.

Smokeymi16

I'd look at the fuel pump first if the plugs are all black and sooty it means ur over fuelling u might have to much fuel pressure.

Tandoh

Took me a good 20 minutes to start my Rallye once whe it was running the standard carbs after being left for a few months. I ended up holding my hand over the top of the carb, which made it start lumpy, but I managed to clear it up with a bit of throttle for a few minutes.

allye

I ended up holding my hand over the top of the carb, which made it start lumpy, but I managed to clear it up with a bit of throttle for a few minutes.

This is an amazing technique and can result in some cool flames coming out the top of the carb :lol:

fionn205

after leaving it over night I managed to get it to start by using a lucizade bottle full of petrol connected to the pump so im guessing the fuel line is clogged somewhere, i havent ever changed the filter so maybe thats it

Edited by fionn205