• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dandanger

205 Gti6 ? Tap Tap Tap

dandanger

hi all i just got my hands on a white 205 converted gti6.... and its got a tappy top end matey said its got a recent conversion so thinking dry hydrolic lifter engine may have been standing ???? first thing iv not checked sparkeys yet my worries are have i now got a car with a bent valve so a sparky check and compression check morro

will a compression test flag a bent valve ???

tappy noise only after warm, start it cold and sounds sweet im thinkin if valve it be constant noise even when cold

also any1 heard of the car i got H150 GLA just be interested if any1 knows this car alpine white 1.6 shell

Edited by pug_ham
wanted items removed.

welshpug

Due to the quite strong double valve springs these engines use a compression test rarely shows up a bent valve though the characteristic sound, rotating the valve with a dial gauge against the head is the only reliable way to check for runout, unless its obviously and visibly bent.

dandanger

that gotta be head off

CosKev

Will be a bent valve/s would guess,lifters are usaully the other way around,noisy cold and go quieter when the oil warms up/thins.

allanallen

Kev, I've found it to be the other way round to be honest, once the oil thins the lifters get noisy. So If like you say the noise develops as the engine gets warm I'd dump the oil and get some fresh 10w40 semi synthetic in there and take it for a good thrash. It may not be the problem but it's definetly worth a go.

I've had this problem on 2 seperate engines now and it was down to the incorrect oil being used, in fact it was magnas*ite both times!

Edited by allanallen

marksorrento205

Have you checked the spark plugs are tight? Common for them to work loose on these engines. Going off what you have said doubt it will be, but always worth checking the easy stuff first :)

dandanger

iv done nothing to this yet will get out and dump the oil and check the plugs... weather permitting gotta be worth a go cause i dont know what oil is in it...

only got the car last week and she been laid up since i got it as now stuck in third not in a big rush as its a project as car has lots of faults i want spend the next 8 mths to get it looking original/standard

if i do have to take the head if does any body know of a good engineering firm in st austell cornwall? or just a good engineering firm ?

marksorrento205

Sandy is down that neck of the woods is he not?

Edit: Well Truro, Wp will be along shortly to give you a gps readout of his current location :lol:

Edited by marksorrento205
  • Like 1

welshpug

sandy's about 5 miles away if youre in st austell IIRC :)

Edp

I had the same symptoms on a GTi6 engine I had a couple of years back.

I took the head off and checked the valves by spinning them in drill chuck. I had 2 bent badboys. Inlets if my memory serves.

Replaced these and it sounded sweet. Removed the engine again though as I didn't think it suited the 205 to be honest. Mi16 all the way.

Baz

Can also be guides.

dandanger

has any1 got a link for sandy or contact number thinking just have head reconditioned just for my own piece of mind its not like im in a huge rush

Sign in to follow this