• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allye

205 Gti6 Radiator Options

allye

Afternoon all,

Ever since I've had a GTI6 205 the radiator/running temps have been bit of a arse. Firstly had a 2nd hand copper core item, then changed to a nissens item which helped slightly. Normal driving is absolutely fine, but as soon as I come to some traffic the temp guage rises straight away and gets my arse twitching thinking its going boil itself.

Now I managed to put a small hole in the radiator I'm contemplating what to do. Do I just find a cheap replacement and live with it, get hold of another decent nissens item as others seem to run their's fine with these, of stop being so tight fisted and cough up for a £140 big capacity radiator and sort it once and for all!? (overkill!?)

I also run twin slim lines and currently having a special fan loom made so both come on at high speed at the lower temp setting. Plus I recently replaced the switch in the rad with the purple banded lower temp one. Only thing I haven't changed since building it is the thermostat which I can't remember which temp item I used.

Any input would be really useful!

Thanks, Ali

chipstick

I run a 205 Nissens Aluminium one with 1 standard fan.

It is brilliant when rolling. In traffic it will creep to the line and the fan kicks in. Soon after the temperature is reduced and the fan goes off. A few minutes later it may then come on again at that same line. It's absolutely fine. As long as the fan kicks in at this correct point and the temperature is brought down I can't see a problem.

I have twin fans which I were going to fit, but really don't see it is worth the effort (however minimal) to swap them over as there really isn't the need for it.

Edited by chipstick

welshpug

not had any issues with a standard gti rad on gti6 engines, just make sure the hoses and thermostat are in good order, standard stat is 83 degrees which is near the ideal operating range for these engines.

A Rally car I was servicing next to in belgium was a 215 bhp carbed gti6, standard rad + single fan, 33.5 degrees ambient temp all day and he had no issues I heard of.

Edited by welshpug

allye

A ha, this is good news. I may do the thermostat whilst I'm there, I'm just reluctant to take that area apart again as I had a right game getting it all too seal last time.

Am I correct in saying that the GTI6 temp sender reads high on 205GTI gauges? I think there's also a case of me just getting paranoid.

welshpug

205 gauges read "high" anyway.

Can't see why you had issues trying to get it to seal, its just a standard thermostat seal.

1338 39 THERMOSTAT 83 DEG VERNET -

1340 48 THERMOST GASKET DIAM 51X57-4,5

not cheep mind, £22!

Edited by welshpug

allye

Just wipped out my thermostat, no marking on it to indicate temp rating so I'll replace that as a matter of course. I've found 82 degree thermostats, so prob go for one of those.

Is that gasket for between the head and sensor housing WP?

Last time i was struggling to get the BBM adapter to seal with the hose take off and.

HHmmmmmmmm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/peugeot-diesel-205-1-8-stdt-radiator-reconditioned-/300718367461?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3APeugeot%7CModel%3A205&hash=item46043622e5#ht_500wt_1287

Edited by allye

welshpug

no that's the thermostat gasket that the BBM thing goes over.

allye

Ahh, ok. Just trying to clarify this for myself as it was a bitch last time and I resorted to gasket sealant -_-

What seal, sealant, o ring should there be between the hose take off (I've got a slightly sorry for itself metal one) and the BBM adapter?

welshpug

it comes with an o-ring fitted for the 8v takeoff to seal.

allye

I'm sorry to go on, just to confirm

sensor housing > thermostat + gasket > BBM adapter > o ring > hose take off?

welshpug

yup, o-ring is part of BBM adapter :)

Miles

That's why I only use 205 senders on 6 engine's are you get the best guess 'o' meter reading, but on any I've seen not one has run hot (Touch wood)

The TD rad's are huge, use a different lower pipe too as the angle is different to the GTi one.

Sign in to follow this