• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gtmotorsport

Xud Hot Start Problems

gtmotorsport

Got problems with my girlfriends 205 1.8D starting when hot. The car has been fine until the recent warm weather, starts no problem from cold with the glow plugs which were changed in Feb of this year. So far I have done the following, but once the car is hot and then left for 10 minutes it is a right game to start again. Nothing seems to be obviously wrong.

Stop solenoid replaced (since problems)

Heater plugs checked

Filters changed

Fuel lines checked (nothing obvious)

Fast idle lever (cable) backed right off when hot (previous owner I think had it a little tight)

Stop lever adjusted to sensible idle

Help I'm out of ideas

pug_ham

I'd check all the rubber fuel lines closely, it sounds like air might be getting in so its taking a few more turns to get fuel back to the pump hinting at a perished hose imo.

Next time its warm, try pumping the priming bulb until it goes hard & then try starting it to see if it makes any difference.

g

gtmotorsport

I have tried the priming bulb several times in an attempt to get the thing to stat and makes little difference. It goes firm after 2 light pumps which makes me think something more to it?

pug_ham

Have the valve clearances been checked?

The XUD7 has a well known tendency for them to close up, making starting noticabley harder. especially when warm.

g

gtmotorsport

I'll have a check on the clearances this evening when she gets home from work.

pug_ham

You are meant to check them cold iirc.

g

gtmotorsport

I appreciate that clearances are meant to be checked cold, but even when hot I assume that some gap should be present or there is a risk of a valve remaining partially open.

pug_ham

There should still be a gap but it's best to check it against the correct one cold to get a true idea if it needs adusting.

Once the car is back, let it stand for as long as you can with the bonnet open to help disipate the heat build up so you can get a better idea of the actual gap or, if you feel like an early start, prepare it for checking them in the morning before she uses the car.

The clearances can be checked in under 30 minutes, less than an hour start to finish iirc.

g

BenC

I had similar problems with my turbo diesel in hot weather and was advised that it could be the hot weather causing the starter motor to stick as it's quite old, or possibly a tired battery. I swapped the battery for a new one and it has all been fine so far. Something else to check if the valve clearances turn out to be a dead end anyway.

Edited by BenC

Paul_13

I had this problem on mine, turned out to be the leak off hose from the pump to the injectors. Where the bonnet had repeatedly close on it, it split

Also had the problem of the mixture screw needing to be adjusted on the back of the pump. But sounds like youve done that.

gtmotorsport

Ok, got to the car last night cold and as some might expect we have tight valve clearances. I got as far as just checking the inlets and after finding 2 fine and 2 unable to get a 0.10 mm blade in, I popped the rocker cover back. I realised like it or lump it I have got to set to and re-shim the begger, only problem being getting shims.

Got a cambelt kit and water pump arranged (don't see much point in cutting corners like that), but the local pug dealer isn't too sure until we try and order the required shims if they can get them. Any ideas?

pug_ham

Shims should be easy to get, My local dealer was able to get me them last year & generally they aren't very expensive as long as you don't need odd large sizes.

There is a shim calculator attached to this topic which makes it easy to work out the new sizes you need & has the part numbers listed for them.

g

gtmotorsport

Spot on with the spreadsheet, I'll be putting that to use. Cheers

S@m

The shims are still available, i sell them every once in a while for people with C15 vans usually. There is a vast array of sizes listed on servicebox, shouldn't be hard for your parts guy to find them. Also, there is a facility in all dealers to check if parts are still available prior to ordering them, tell him to use it!

Sam

Sign in to follow this