• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
thomasrally

Advice Getting More Bhp - 206 Cup Car

thomasrally

Hi all, after any help and suggestions on getting more bhp from my forest spec 206 1.6 xsi cup car?

Ideally would like somewhere in the region of 180bhp- 200bhp if it's not serious money to achieve.

calvinhorse

That sort of power is only possible with throttle bodies which your looking at £2000 at least straight away.

Cams and exhaust are a start, while the heads off you should also look at having that ported and polished.

thomasrally

Welshpug mentioned on british rally forum about going down the throttle bodies route with an aftermarket ECU, what sort of bhp increase could I possibly see if I added these upgrades to the cup spec engine and cup cams?

Edited by thomasrally

welshpug

what is "cup spec" ??

thomasrally

As far as I'm aware the cup spec engine's were completely standard apart from peugeot sport cams

thomasrally

I forgot to mention that apart from the cams (only know their peugeot sport cams) they also upgraded the inlet manifold, throttle body and the exhaust system to a 4 branch and in that form are reported to be putting out around 160bhp, so over this current form I'm looking for an extra 20+ bhp

Edited by thomasrally

DrSarty

I'm no TU expert, but as it's a petrol, 4-stroke internal combustion engine, it will follow the basic tuning rules.

This means firstly you could/should do some general performance tuning research on this forum - there's lots of good stuff here - for TU, and also XU and EW engines, as the principles will generally be the same. You can investigate staying normally aspirated (N/A) or going forced induction/boosted.

For your engine, considering you say it already has a 4-branch exhaust and system, plus an 'upgraded' set of cams and throttle body (whatever 'upgraded' means), you should find out:

a} State what budget you have and how you want the engine perform to suit your application, i.e. max peak power to rev it hard all the time, or tractable torque spread or peak torque at a certain RPM - to give you/us a goal. You say you want 20bhp more...why?

B} What exactly the 'upgraded' bit means, i.e. spec of the cam(s), how is the TB better? - to see what you're starting with (hype or something usable)

c} What power it produces now, at the wheels on a trusted set of rollers - to give you a benchmark

d} What low cost options there are for your specific engine install, namely:

+ better air feed (not necessarily a cone-type filter) but cold air induction

+ cam options for your engine above the current items

+ chips for/reprogramming of your current ECU to see how you can gain with relatively little work

e} Finally, based on the cams and TB you have, whether a programmeable ECU plus a mapping session (plus modified/new loom - circa £1,000+) is something you can afford and whether anyone's done this, as I reckon there should be 8-10bhp there alone, maybe more. But note that this is unlikely to be without cost, apart from the money; namely the peak BHP lift may well sacrifice mid-range performance. (Just being realistic, as nothing is free usually)

Anything above that lot will be in the realms of £2,000 cost (adding ITBs, panel filter and manifolds, changing injectors etc) to gain 20bhp plus above what you have now.

Edited by DrSarty

thomasrally

Had the car on dyno today and result was 137bhp@flywheel so not very exciting, would like to see 160bhp+ from the following mods!?

Omex600 ecu

Ported/Polished head

Pair of cams (newman ph3 or similar)

PS would like to see good mid range/torque as its for forest rallying so dont want anything too peaky

Edited by thomasrally
  • Like 1

welshpug

leave the head alone and get whatever works in the standard piston, or get forged pistons and solids and cams, std head, or more cash for head and valve work.

140 is respectable, the top spec cars with the jp4s engine were 180 bhp on single tb