• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205trials

1.9 Won't Idle

205trials

Hi,

Have just put a new engine in my 1.9 8v with induction kit and it will not idle correctly, in fact it wont maintain constant revs when holding throttle at a fixed position. Lots of popping from the induction kit/air filter and it sounds like its missing at low load but not high load.

New plugs, leads and checked fuel pressure. Air screw does not seem to make any difference from one extreme to other.

Old engine blew head gasket and blew oil everywhere. New head completely rebuilt and pressure tested, new timing belt and timing is perfect, new dizzy cap and rotor arm.

Any ideas???

Lee

c_robinson

i'd go checking for an air leak or air flow meter problem. Had this with mine and the sir pipe to from the afm to inlet manifold was split underneath

205kenny

First thing i'd check is for an air leak. I'm guessing its the same afm you were using before, so it probably isn't that.

Out of interest, did you changed all the other top end gaskets while you were on?

205trials

Thanks guys, will check everything over for leaks and yes a complete gasket set was used to overhaul the top end and its the same AFM.

I'm gonna take the intake manifold off and clean the throttle assembly out, a lot of engine oil went through when the last engine gave up the ghost.

Cheers

Lee

205kenny

The only reason i asked about the gasket set, is that the first gti i bought was doing exactly the same thing. The previous owner had replaced the head gasket but couldn't get it to run properly afterwards.

Turned out, after hours trying to fix it, that he had fitted the wrong inlet manifold gasket ( one from a single point injection or carb model?) and the injectors were spraying straight onto the gasket instead of down the port.

Its a long shot but worth checking if your taking the inlet manifold off anyway.

• Like 1

205trials

Will check this, I got two gaskets in the set, a single piece and a two part gasket, I used the single gasket so will check the injectors are clear.

Lee

Carbs4me

Did you get the same model engine.... i did a 1.9 to another 1.9 engine swap and had this problem... changed ECU and it ran fine.

It did idle but only for a short while tho! might be worth a try.

Sign in to follow this