• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davemar

Diy Ignition Amp For Motronic Ml4.1

davemar

Recently while changing my Mi16 engine from the Jetronic setup to the correct Motronic ML4.1 setup I had all sorts of problems with the ignition amps. After trying a couple of different brands, I still couldn't get the the car the rev without misfiring through the mid-range. At over £30 a go, trying different amps was getting expensive, so I decided to go DIY.

As the Motronic ML4.1 ECU sends out a nice square wave on pin1 for the ignition signal, there's none of the signal conditioning that's needed for the distributor pick-up coil type ignition on the Jetronic setup. Therefore the ignition amp just needs to switch based on the ECU's signal, so something simple will do.

A bit of research revealed the ISL9V5036P3 IGBT transistor is designed for firing car ignition coils, so I decided to base the circuit around one of those. I've attached the circuit diagram, and you can see how simple it is. Even with a nice metal box (which doubles as a heatsink) the cost of the parts is still less than the standard amps. The auto-reset circuit breaker is optional (Maplin sell them) as I wanted it in there just in case things went wrong.

So far the amp has worked flawlessly over the past month or so. The engine revs smoothly and doesn't miss a beat. A vast improvement on the standard amps.

So if you're struggling with unreliable amps, you might want to try this circuit.

post-3420-0-55911700-1337471944_thumb.png

• Like 6

jackherer

Good effort, thanks for posting :)

As the Motronic ML4.1 ECU sends out a nice square wave on pin1 for the ignition signal, there's none of the signal conditioning that's needed for the distributor pick-up coil type ignition on the Jetronic setup. Therefore the ignition amp just needs to switch based on the ECU's signal, so something simple will do.

Indeed, the standard amp is a bit overkill really, its the same one they used on the 8v so I guess they had a few in stock when they specced the Mi16!

• Like 1

petert

Good effort! How is the charge time determined?

davemar

The ECU determines that. It's somewhere between 4-6ms IIRC.

welshpug

so you've essentially created what the later ecu's like the MM 1AP1 on the gti6 have onboard?

wicked

I think the are/were used on the Megasquirts as well...

Will Eastman

Sounds good, what is the GND? Also will the unit essentially only have 3 pins? I thought the Mi16 apm had more pins

pablitosax

Recently while changing my Mi16 engine from the Jetronic setup to the correct Motronic ML4.1 setup I had all sorts of problems with the ignition amps. After trying a couple of different brands, I still couldn't get the the car the rev without misfiring through the mid-range. At over £30 a go, trying different amps was getting expensive, so I decided to go DIY.

A bit of research revealed the ISL9V5036P3 IGBT transistor is designed for firing car ignition coils, so I decided to base the circuit around one of those. I've attached the circuit diagram, and you can see how simple it is. Even with a nice metal box (which doubles as a heatsink) the cost of the parts is still less than the standard amps. The auto-reset circuit breaker is optional (Maplin sell them) as I wanted it in there just in case things went wrong.

So far the amp has worked flawlessly over the past month or so. The engine revs smoothly and doesn't miss a beat. A vast improvement on the standard amps.

So if you're struggling with unreliable amps, you might want to try this circuit.

Hello davemar:
Your circuit is a "common emitter" amplifier ..is for voltage gain (current indirectly are increased too because the resistance / impedance of the coil is a constant), BUT inverts the signal 180 degrees.
In another words : If you have a pulse on the 12V input to 0V at the collector you will see the opposite , a pulse from 0V to 12V.
If you dont`n need to reverse the signal must add another step to the "amplifier" for example modify this circuit (was made for a Volvo entusiasth to replace points whitout any invert)
(the component list : Component values:

R1 1kohm

R2 1kohm

R3 50ohm

D1 1N4007

D2 1N4007

D3 400V zener diode 1.5KE400

T1 2N7000 Mosfet

T2 BUK854-500IS IGBT )

post-26267-0-94604900-1448300229_thumb.jpg

Edited by pablitosax
  • Like 1