• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dandu

Turbo Upgrade ... Garrett Gt2554R / Gt2560R

Dandu

Hi mates,

did anyone ever try to upgrade ones 2l turbo conversion (XU10J2TE) with one of the smaller Garrett turbos? My standard turbo charger is out of order and I'm still contemplating the options of a proper replacement. Both chargers mentioned above seem to be a proper fit regarding the turbo inlet - "T25".

1. But what about sizes and shapes of turbo outlet, compressor inlet / outlet, oil inlet / outlet, water inlet / outlet? Will the former connections fit easily? I don't think so.

2. Do I have to reroute some piping? I suppose, but which one?

3. Do I have to reprogram the engine management? I think so.

My general intention is to minimize the amount of work for the replacement of the turbo.

Cheers Dandu

Edited by Dandu

Tom Fenton

I assume you are using the standard 2.0T Peugeot exhaust manifold? If so this restricts your choice to the Peugeot T25 only, simply because for some strange reason Peugeot decided to use a strange/unique bolt pattern for the joint between turbo and manifold, rather than using the standard pattern as per all other Garrett turbos in the same family.

Peugeot pattern is like this- $(KGrHqN,!rME-Y0)MeW5BPrjO+OP4!~~60_12.JPG

Standard Garrett T25/GT25 series is like this - $(KGrHqR,!m!E2EE2tw6dBNkFcG5,C!~~0_12.JPG

wicked

There are several options:

- You can upgrade the turbo by replacing the compressor with a T3 compressor housing (=T28).

It's done before, but you'll put more heat/stress on the turbine and that's known to crack (even without upgrade).

Least work on piping etc. Be keen on the the trim levels. A 40 trim T3, won't create much more flow than you OEM T25.

- Replace the turbo; I've seen upgrades with adapter plates on the manifold to fit T3's or scoobie TD04's. More work, more gain...

- Replace manifold and turbo. You can use a TT manifold, DP manifold or a DIY job. Most work, most degrees of freedom, most power...

If you keep below 1 bar boost and the OEM injector can do the job power-wise, you can keep your management, but will limit you to ~200bhp.

After that, you'll need custom management or someone who can upgrade the MAP sensor and map your ECU.

Dandu

What a pity ... Yes, I'd like to apply the standard exhaust manifold. Thus, my options are limited. Unless I'd like to exchange the manifold as well. Are there any recommendable options? It's a kind of thought experiment.

Thanks for your comments! Cheers Dandu

wicked

The GT2554R will probably fit with the TT manifold.

The GT28x's might be too big.

I tried to fit a GTI-R T28 (biggest OEM T28) with a TT manifold, but is sat stuck against the bulk head.... smaller A/R T28's should be a close call.

If you use an adapter plate on the manifold, you can fit a lot of turbo's and only be limited by the available space. Note that the OEM manifold is not great wrt flow.

TD04 turbo's are flow very well wrt OEM T25/T28's and have small dimensions.

Edited by wicked

Dandu

Much thanks wicked! You were responding, while I was writing to Tom. Thus, don't get confused.

I consider both of your statements very helpful. I'll think about it. Cheers Dandu

Dandu

My mind is swinging back and forth. ;) I tend to replace my original turbo charger with a similar second-hand one. But I can't drop the idea to install a more sophisticated (up-to-date) turbo charger instead. I've found the following kit while crawling the pages of dp-engineering. I've found a kit, probably many of you already know:

http://www.dp-engineering.nl/EN/products/turbo_kits/component_package/xu_8v_compo.php

What do you think about it? What are the chances to install it successfully in my 205 CTi? Has anyone ever done it? I can sense some trouble coming up attaching the catalytic converter (originating from a Citroen XM) and finding enough space between engine and bulkhead for the exhaust manifold and the turbo charger. I'm very curious about it!

Cheers Dandu

Tom Fenton

Surely the best people to ask would be DP Engineering? I am only guessing but I imagine the whole point of that manifold is that it can be made to fit in the engine bay. However I am sure the people that designed and made it can advise the best. The Cat shouldn't be a problem as if I am not mistaken the manifold lifts the turbo up and forwards to above the cam cover area, so there should be plenty room down the back of the engine.

Dandu

Don't take it amiss, but DP Engineering is selling all the stuff, they will most-likely tell me ... everything will fit in smoothly. ;) I just wanted to get some kind of practical cross-reference from drivers, who already applied the kit. Nothing else.

Cheers Dandu

Lewis205mi

The garrett gt2554r is a good turbo, its a more up to date version of the t25 but with faster spool up times (ball bearing) and upto around 240bhp flow capability.

The garrett gt2560r is the same as the gt2554r but has a slightly bigger compressor and its good for about 270bhp with similar spool up times to the gt2554r.

A couple of things thats worth a mention is that you will need to run an oil restrictor with these turbos, and although they are very strong if you manage to ruin a bearing etc you will have to buy a complete centre cartridge as these turbos cannot be rebuilt because garrett don't supply the parts.

wicked

DP stuff is great, it will fit. It comes with a downpipe that ends underneath the car, so you have to make your exhaust/cat fit to that.

Regarding turbo size, note that the rated bhp is a conversion of the maximum flow @ 1bar. The gt2560r might be rated at 270 bhp @ 1bar, but your engine will not make 270bhp @ 1 bar. You need a 16v for that, or raise the pressure above 1 bar (= bigger turbo)

So if you go for the DP package, go for the GT28R as minimum. Next to that, you need aftermarket management/mapped ECU to benefit from the potential of the package.

Dandu

I consider both of your statements very helpful. Much thanks!

Some days ago I started evaluating some of the Garrett Turbos available in the package (GT25R, GT28R, GT28RS). With the help of A. Graham Bell I figured out the GT2860RS is most suitable for my needs. Its compressor map reveals best efficiency at my desired boost level of 1 bar.

But in order to address more people with my problem, I've opened up another thread.

http://forum.205gtid...howtopic=139225

Cheers Dandu

Edited by Dandu

Sign in to follow this