• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DanRM

Just Had Head Gasket Done But More Problems

DanRM

I had my head gasket replaced a week ago after it blowing for the 2nd time in a year. The mechanic said the last person to do it broke a Head bolt and just siliconed it in about 8 months ago. (no trace of that t*** now). He sorted it out, had the head skimmed and gave the engine a general service and clean up. ( filters, plugs and leads)

I've done about 200 miles since this was done, all running great except a little idle hunting when cold until friday, I noticed some oil has been dripping down by the drivers side wishbone bone, about 2x3" on the floor over an afternoon. I traced it back and it looks like its leaking around the head pretty much all the way round but more so on the back of the engine on the drivers side.

Secondly, when i first start the car when its cold, it won't idle properly jumping around then cutting out unless i rest my foot on the throttle a bit. Its been like this since i had it which has annoyed me quite a lot, but now when the engine is warm it will idle at 1000 - 1500rpm sometimes but mainly 2000rpm. Then it may go back below/normal speed

I have no idea what the reason is for this. The Mechanic I sent it to is away until Tuesday so I'm waiting for him to get back to me, but I just wanted to know what sort of thing I'm looking at here, So anyone know of/had these problems?

Thanks

Alastairh

Worth taking back to him. To leak fluid all the way round the head at the gasket joint i would be questioning the head bolt tightness / gasket. Any evidence of leaks above the gasket? you have the rocker cover, cam pulley seal and dizzy seal for possible failiure areas.

The character of these engines and management mean when you first start them from cold they do need throttle though.

Al

Tom Fenton

If it's leaking oil all the way around, it cannotbe the head gasket, as this only has oilways in two places. Most likely is the camcover seal, if no sealant is used they leak like a pig, however they look like they should seal ok, so unless the guy knows these engines well, he has possibly fitted it with no sealer, not knowing that it needs some.

• Like 1

Phil H

Has a thicker gasket been used to keep the original compression ratio? I had a head gasket change and skim and it never ran well from cold afterwards. In the end, I had to get a choke cable off a lesser model and connect it to the throttle pedal to keep the revs up when cold, so it didn't stall when reaching traffic lights etc.

DanRM

Thanks for the replies, I sent it back Wednesday, he thinks it was a duff gasket, I got a new one in there now. This morning though the temp gauge isn't working i.e the engine is getting to temperature but the needle hasn't moved. A connection come loose maybe?

Also I noticed a brown 3pin plug coming from down towards the back of the engine that was unplugged and hanging near the battery tray, is this supposed to be unplugged or would this be the problem?

Cheers

Edited by DanRM

Sinbad

3 pin plug will be one that everyone asks about that is not used lol

Sign in to follow this