• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
vern

307 Rear Beam Bushes

vern

I know it is not a 205, but I hope one of the 307 owners has replaced the rear beam bushes.

Is it easy possible with diy tools? is it just a case of undoing the bolt through the bush, disconnecting the shock absorber and gently allow beam to lower to give access, then remove the bush, and refit is the reverse of the removal?

welshpug

not done a 307 but by the looks of it its a large bush similar to a 205 wishbone or lower engine mount, so yes it would be remove the single bolt per side and anything else that gets in the way, dropping the dampers and springs off will help.

gsidave

Ive only ever seen one person do these and in all fairness it's easier to drop the back axle off change both bushes then re fit the axle

vern

The bush is a fair bit bigger than a 205 rear engine bush, about twice the size. Don't really want to take of the whole beam just do 1 side, so hoping someone with experience of doing one could give me the benift of their experience.

welshpug

Henry Yorke might know, he's had a 307 for a few years.

307 beam is not that substantial though, it wouldn't bother me if I had to remove it, certainly a far less daunting prospect than a 205 beam :)

Henry Yorke

Mine has only done 70k and I have never changed them, though it does make the odd clunk at the back. What mileage are you changing them at? Personally I would change both at once on a part like that for equal stability. Letting the trailing arm swing down is easy as it is just the shock bolt as you say and I have done this to change the rear springs.

The front is held on by some big bushes which I have often wondered if they wear badly over time (part 8 in the pic below - 5131.A4). They look like they would need to be pressed out though.

post-3457-0-17026400-1337030445_thumb.jpg

post-3457-0-92145400-1337031127_thumb.jpg

Not sure where part 2 mounts to the car though, but it doesn't look like a rubber sandwich mount to me, so the only real bushes must be part 8. In that case you might be able to unbolt the front and let the front of the beam drop and use some puller on it.... I'd take the whole lot off though.

Have a look on eBay for second hand beam pics to get some idea. I think I'm right.

$%28KGrHqR,%21jgE7jvZgp06BPHu784qbw%7E%7E60_12.JPG

vern

The car has done just over 102000 miles, I have had it since about 88000 and it has always knocked gently, and the bushes looked cracked. The past couple of months it has got worse and it passed the MOT 6 months ago, the bushes have always looked cracked.

Part number 2 bolts directlyto the underside of the body, and it is the big bush you have pictured that requires replacement.

Has anyone tryed freezing the bushes to get them to shink enough to fit?

Henry Yorke

It looks like the usual Peugeot method of chisel out and press in :( You light be able to get away with a big vice to do it though

vern

Thanks for the replies, not looking forward to this job, might look to see if I can get someone to do it for me.

Henry Yorke

Did you replace these Vern? Was it a big job and has it cured the knocking?

vern

No i bought them, but i sold the car before i got chance to do them. So no idea if it improved the knocking, but almost certainly the bushes were causing the rear end knock. As the knocking got louder and the bushes were visibly worn.

Henry Yorke

Got some cheap bushes for sale then?!!

vern

No when I sold the car I gave them to the new owner but they were only £14 for the pair from this place:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-307-REAR-MOUNT-SUBFRAME-BUSHES-2000-2005-X-2-/230571170042?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3APeugeot%7CModel%3A307&hash=item35af1cd8fa

They seemed ok, looked the same as others on ebay, obviously cannot vouch for how good they were when fitted. I think they are only something like £40 the pair genuine Peugeot.