• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SurGie

Galvanising/plating Companies In General.

chipstick

Dale, how much did all that plating set you back if you dont mind saying?

rallysteve

ACE stripped and plated my coil over bodies for £12

SurGie

I suppose it depends on who you ask, they had trouble getting the zinc to bond as well which may have made a difference to the price.

Lets not forget to factor in the extra time finding a place that does do private jobs, then traveling round getting quotes, all this may have meant money on fuel and more time. Places like these need to see the bits before giving a quote, i guess its not the best price but at least i didn't have to send more time/fuel going to Nottingham or other places.

When they did my shouldered bolts a few years ago, it was for 60 of them for £15 in basic zinc plate.

dale205mills

Dale, how much did all that plating set you back if you dont mind saying?

Off the top of my head it was between £25 and £35 a box but there where big a small parts and lots of nuts and bolts.

harryskid

I suppose it depends on who you ask, they had trouble getting the zinc to bond as well which may have made a difference to the price.

Lets not forget to factor in the extra time finding a place that does do private jobs, then traveling round getting quotes, all this may have meant money on fuel and more time. Places like these need to see the bits before giving a quote, i guess its not the best price but at least i didn't have to send more time/fuel going to Nottingham or other places.

When they did my shouldered bolts a few years ago, it was for 60 of them for £15 in basic zinc plate.

The main thing is your pleased with what you had done not what others think you should pay !

• Like 2

dale205mills

Off the top of my head it was between £25 and £35 a box but there where big a small parts and lots of nuts and bolts.

I have over priced there, it was between £15 and £20 a box as I have just gone threw my list of what money went where.

SurGie

I must say, Macro Dev have been a pleasure to deal with, great chaps.

I've just received a nice surprise, i've just got a call from Macro Developments and because this job (compensator's nickel plated) took 2-3 weeks more than it should have done, they have sorted them out for free :D

The reasons for the extra time was to do with the Jubilee stuff, then the electroplaters were on holiday too. So with this extra cash i would have spent on these compensator's being plated, i'm sending some more parts to get the same treatment.

Once i get them back i'll keep this thread updated to show the quality of work they do.

harryskid

Nice one good result !

Daviewonder

Once i get them back i'll keep this thread updated to show the quality of work they do.

Why not just do a progress thread George? It sounds like a very thourough job you're doing.

SurGie

Why not just do a progress thread George? It sounds like a very thorough job you're doing.

I'm hoping to start one very soon Dave, its a complete overhaul modified (16v) 205 GTI, apart from the car being resprayed, that's planned for early next year. It's been an on and off project in these 4 years since it started and have 4 laptops of pictures through the years, so i have to download them to photobucket. We all know how much time/trouble that can take, especially with the amount of pictures i have.

Cheers

• Like 1

SurGie

Got them this morning, very pleased with the results.The bad looking one must be an original one, the other must have been replaced at some point in the cars life, looks brand new.

th_205newpartsforprojectthreadcompensatorsnickelplated011.jpg

The next lot will be getting the bright electroless nickel plating like kitchen utensils get, the hard wearing properties of it will help stop the slam panel plate wearing down and rusting any time soon.

The price ive been quoted is very good, cheaper than the last lot of olive drab plating parts etc.

BERTMAN

I've used Niphos Metal Finishing Company in Crewe and had decent results

SurGie

Just to update this thread, here are the last lot of bits plated via the electroless nickel by Macro.

th_BOLTSplatedbeamfloorarea001.jpg

Ive now almost got every bolt/nut plated using this method, not only for the anti rust properties but for the looks and longevity of it. The above lot was £20 posted back to me. Macro seem to produce better quality than my local place, cheaper too.

SurGie

Here are a few more bits plated up, after all the bits that has been plated for the project, there are only the 'few' that haven't been plated using the electroless nickel plating. These are the sub frame bolts which were olive drab plated and the two steering rack bolts and shoulder sleeves, sub frame bolts were fitted before i started to get the bits electroless nickel plated.

]th_PlatedBoltsand14mileticket004_zps666fbdbf.jpg

Every single bolt, nut, washer and fixing parts bar the 'few' has been plated using the electroless nickel, other brackets that can be painted has been painted using car coloured 2k epoxy primer with 2k paint, some in silver, others in black.

I am due for a load this week sometime, so ill update this thread when i get them through.

George :)