• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BlueBolt

Head Work Advice

BlueBolt

sounds like it may just be classic comparing RR's with other RR's...! if a known healthy engine wasn't tested immediately prior to that run you can't take that figure as gospel.

Exactly that... Hence the standard lump being tested soon :)

petert

Why do you think a GTi6 on TB's is going to have peak hp figure any better than a standard manifold? When at WOT, the TB's are near identical to the standard manifold. And if sucking in hot air off the radiator, probably worse.

camgti

Agreed with above. The computer is probably adding the few BHP gain if anything. Pull the head off to see whats what and go from there. SOme PeterT cams ( stage 1 ) should see healthy gains with the stuff you already have on there. The cams are not that expensive and if you feel you want something more then you know what your options are. A mate is running standard Gti6 with aftermarket management and PeterT stage 1 cam and ita getting 110KW ATW. It needs another map as the computer needs a firmware update and a fiddle and he should see a further 5kw gain. Standard inlet.

Cam

BlueBolt

Would a regroups set of cams remove the need for any piston work?? I know a mild cam would lessen the likelihood, but to my way I thinking, if a cam is bring reground then it's having material taken off it, which would imply that there would be no need to have any work done to pistons.... In my head that's how I imagine it, but as many will know, my head works in wonderful ways lol

Chris

welshpug

ptypically peak on itbs is 15 ish bhp up, not sure about torque

BlueBolt

Ok, so it's obvious I need a set of cams, vernias, and a head sort.....

What kind of money am I looking at to get this work done by someone?? The gearbox will be done within the next few weeks, but I'm thinking I'm going to start on the saving and sort the head out at the same time...

I know mapping costs will need to be added on to the cost, but it's the head work I need to find out more about to begin with....

dcc

cant compare any figures for my gti6 on bodies, but, we drove it to sandy on standard inlet - it felt quick as it was, but with the bodies fitted, it was a different animal. As said, the figure you have looks a bit low, but are they flywheel or wheel figures? We didn't get an exact reading from mine as we were appreciating the flames, vibrations and acoustics from the experience... Last time I looked it was 165bhp at the wheels, ish at 5.5k (I think).

But like on the day, Sandy said dont get caught up on figures, its about how the car drives... It drove lurrrrrrrrrrvley :)

Also, my 165bhp (as I think of it) gti6 on bodies, was a lot faster than a 225bhp megane, a 300bhp/400ftlb astra was VERY surprised with me nearly going into the back of him (slow cars them) and a 500bhp 480ftlb evo did make sad faces when he only pulled a car or 2 away... Before I get shot at, this was all on a private road somewhere.

What I am getting at is I would bet your car would do the same, if not better, as yours has been built very well by a very reputable man :) Don't get caught up on figures.

Headwork will NOT be cheap.

in short:

Pistons Valve cutouts machined

Depending on cams you'd need lifters, head material removed, gti6 has a vernier of sorts already, I would be tempted to stop where you are for the second and think what the use of the car is actually for... How much money do you want to throw at it, why, and what could be done more cost effectively

BlueBolt

gti6 has a vernier of sorts already, I would be tempted to stop where you are for the second and think what the use of the car is actually for... How much money do you want to throw at it, why, and what could be done more cost effectively

The car is a summer toy in principal, as of soon it will be a weekend and summer toy too... So the economy is not such a problem and such...

The money being thrown at it is going to add up over the years anyway, I appreciate that the work

I want is not going to be cheap at all...

Didn't know that about the gti6 pulleys, I'll have to do some searching into that now...

I got eaten by a standard megane 2.0 16v at the weekend so I'm changing the gearbox to get the better ratio and thinking/planning the next stages. The cost and saving is the issue at the moment lol

welshpug

you've just had a load of work done by miles, why don't you ask him?

Simes

Slightly different but maybe some help.

Over the years with the same engine, which incidently came with cams and some headwork, this was a surprise to us and we only found out once stripped.

My Mi16 on Standard inlet but with 262 cams (next step up - 174bhp)

My Mi16 on GTI-6 inlet with 262 cams and Emerald ECU (185bhp)

My Mi16 on Jenveys, with 262 cams, Emerald and remap 194bhp.

Go with the bodies and see how it goes - TBH it makes quite some difference in the mid range, much more torque and generally smoother.

A pleasant and amusing driving experience.

Try each stage at a time - yep you'll have to fork out for mapping but cars aren't cheap when you're starting to modify at this stage.

Oh and I use an Mi16 gearbox - which is a delight!

Edited by Simes

BlueBolt

Oh and I use an Mi16 gearbox - which is a delight!

Didn't that come with a 4.4cwp as standard??

dav1

that should not be happening cant of been std.

Anthony

Yes, but the gear set is different and more widely spaced than the GTi gear set.

Effectively gives you a short 1/2/3 and then a longish 4/5 (5th is approximately 4000rpm @ 80mph)

dav1

The car is a summer toy in principal, as of soon it will be a weekend and summer toy too... So the economy is not such a problem and such...

The money being thrown at it is going to add up over the years anyway, I appreciate that the work

I want is not going to be cheap at all...

Didn't know that about the gti6 pulleys, I'll have to do some searching into that now...

I got eaten by a standard megane 2.0 16v at the weekend so I'm changing the gearbox to get the better ratio and thinking/planning the next stages. The cost and saving is the issue at the moment lol

That should not be happening at all. No way it can be std or was't you giving it everything? I put forged pistons,newman ph4s, valvesprings, bodies , omex and made 230bhp. I think you mays well save and do it all in one hit.

BlueBolt

*double post*

Edited by BlueBolt

BlueBolt

That should not be happening at all. No way it can be std or was't you giving it everything? I put forged pistons,newman ph4s, valvesprings, bodies , omex and made 230bhp. I think you mays well save and do it all in one hit.

It is completely standard all except a bodge on Clio valver exhaust... Believe me I was giving it everything...!! I was less than impressed!!! Hence my need to change the box to the 1.6 at a minimum... It's owned by a mate of mine and has had nothing done to it. He just drives it very hard all of the time!! It shares the same engine as the Williams all bar the head being slightly different (smaller different shaped ports). They run 150bhp standard and weigh in a lot heavier that the gti!!

dav1

Just cant see how it happened unless you got a mega long box. When mine was 184bhp it did one off those effortlessly. What sort of speeds do you reach in each gear? or was he pushing harder on bends?

harryskid

Well i am not going to say how much mines putting out on Colins tbs but i have a very nice 1600 box proper lsd and it don't halve go! :D

BlueBolt

Just cant see how it happened unless you got a mega long box. When mine was 184bhp it did one off those effortlessly. What sort of speeds do you reach in each gear? or was he pushing harder on bends?

Straight line speed mate, doesn't matter where I race him he has me... Although we haven't had any dry road twisty fun yet!!

Ringed the nuts off me motorway drive to Thurrock at the weekend too!!

I'm running a standard 1.9 box (at the moment)

BlueBolt

Well i am not going to say how much mines putting out on Colins tbs but i have a very nice 1600 box proper lsd and it don't halve go! :D

1.6 box is being searched for at the moment and a mate has found quaife gripper diff for good money so that's on the list for next purchase!!!

welshpug

your renault driver is probably telling massive porkies if it pulled away from you.

BlueBolt

I'd love to say he was, but I know the car since r bought it... Know what's been done and not been done, and it had its first oil change in 2 years last month... :(

DrSarty

To save you looking anything up, as mentioned earlier, the GTI6 (XU10J4RS) has adjustable cam pulleys as standard.

Granted, they're not the funky lighweight alloy affairs such as Kent or Cat, but they deliver the same functionality so you've saved some money there.

It's looking here like you have a good engine built by a reputable service provider, but frankly are itching to spend some more money. Either that, or there's a possibility that something's not quite right with your current set up (be that the gearbox choice or whatever) which needs to be sorted out first.

You are in danger of throwing lots and lots of money at this. A GTI6'd 205 is fun in standard form and should waltz over a 2.0 16v Megane in standard form, if for no other reason than your car will be considerably lighter. So yours with ITBs and aftermarket ECU and mapping should be a serious grin-giver.

Stop the planning for upgrades, and enjoy and fine-tune what you already have.

Edited by DrSarty
  • Like 2

camgti

Totally agree with above. Your car should be walking away... Get the timing checked as above, throw a MI16 FD in you current Box and go from there. Something is not right.... Do you still have the original Inlet?

Cam

Miles

Worth a look in Chris's project thread, the car made the same power as a mates GTi6 one bodies, his had minor headwork thou and we have no referance's yet, But I have a supercharged one to go on and a std 6 when I get 5 minutes