• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
omega

Four Branch Manifold

omega

my exhaust manifold has cracked and ive been offered a four branch and just wanted to know what are the advantages/disadvantages to fitting this? the car is a 1.6 with no modifications,the manifold is stainless steel,with the springs,and isnt seized[think its a magnex] also will it fit my standard system.

cheers

lemmingzappa

The advantage is that you can replace your old cracked manifold with something stainless.

The disadvantage is that it won't make any difference to the performance.

omega

The advantage is that you can replace your old cracked manifold with something stainless.

The disadvantage is that it won't make any difference to the performance.

thanks for the reply

wasnt expecting to fit it and gain 30bhp!! but there must be a reason for them,do they flow better?,move the power band?

still this could be the start of replacing one part then the rest of the exhaust to match,but the rest of the system is good.

dcc

not strictly true what zapper said...

You should feel a better throttle response and possibly more torque through the mid range.

The real downside is fitting it. It might not mate to your standard system easily, and i am 99% sure you cant fit it without dropping the subframe or moving engine (could be wrong there - only one ive ever removed was on a 309 in a scrap yard, and we had to drop the subframe).

I am faily sure you will have to cut/sleeve fit your standard system to mate to it.

• Like 1

welshpug

You can make them fit to the original system easily enough, fitting is just a case of supporting the engine and removing the top mounting arm to tilt it forwards just enough to wiggle it through.

You WILL need an uprated bottom engine mounting as the change in flexible mounting point causes the exhaust to knock and vibrate, worse case they will pull off the rubbers all the time.

Do give it a thorough checkover as they are prone to cracking.

• Like 1

Chapperz

I agree with dcc on this one,

fitted one a while ago now but i found it better in the mid range and was definitely more responsive

I'd recommend you heat wrap it though, mine used to resonate something awful without it

Found it quite easy to fit though, with a bit of jiggery pokery.

Simes

I agree also - when I fitted my magnex years ago there was a little bit more response in the lower revs (on a standard 1.98v)

Replace the lower mount with a tougher one, this will stop the manifold hitting the underside of the car when changing gear. This "torque reduction bush" was standard with Magnex setups back in the day.

205kenny

I could be wrong because i fitted mine about two years ago.

But i'm pretty sure i fitted mine without having to remove anything, apart from the original exhaust obviously. Didn't notice any difference in power/response.

harryskid

I had one on my old 1900 rally engine and it did make an improvement. It had to be adpted and when i bought it it was cracked on the branches but a bit of welding and it was fine and the welds haven't cracked after several hard rally miles. If any one wants one cheap i still have it !

Sign in to follow this