• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chipstick

Ignition Loom Differences Between Phases

chipstick

I am wanting to start a car which has no key.

It has a fairly substantional amount of immobiliser wiring in the ignition loom, but from a quick look in the glovebox, there doesn't appear to be anything tapped into that end. I'm hoping it is purely a case of the immobiliser box and lots of wires going back and forth just in that small section of loom itself.

Now, I can take my ignition barrell out and the loom and try and swap that over, but from looking at it the colours are differnt for a start.

Here are the pics of my ph1.5 loom and plugs:

319b7121.jpg

I have mainly whites, an orange and a red coming from the ignition loom.

Here is the ph2 one:

bca75e80.jpg

013fe0ed.jpg

There are fewer wires going in to the main loom.

Is that how a ph2 loom is, or has something else been changed?

welshpug

plugs are the same, just swap the barrel over, looks like the loom on the car has been messed with.

chipstick

Well at least now that's confirmed im not going to waste time removing mine and I'l know from swapping it over that if it doesnt make a difference then there are deeper problems.

I'm tempted to remove the dash so I can see the whole loom. Probably the best way to be able to assess it all

Miles

Plug directly into the fuse box, it's only a linking loom

chipstick

If that is simply the case, that would be great and obviously eliminate the whole modified section. So it really is just a case of plugging in my barrell and loom straight into the glovebox and starting it from there with the key? I'm shocked it's that simple :D

Edited by chipstick

welshpug

try it!

CaptainK

plugs are the same, just swap the barrel over, looks like the loom on the car has been messed with.

On the joys of a certain ex member's bodging of this car and its loom......

Good luck getting it started Dan. :D

welshpug

On the joys of a certain ex member's bodging of this car and its loom......

Good luck getting it started Dan. :D

DOH! :lol: can't think who though :unsure:

Anthony

To be fair, hacking around of the ignition barrel wiring is normally the evil work of alarm installers.

chipstick

I started to remove the dash and fusebox wise there is no sign of any connections interfered with from any alarm and immobilisors over the years, so I think I can safely say the bodge has been restricted to the ignition barrel loom only.

When I get the dash top out I will chase all the wiring and hopefully confirm this is the case.

I had a look at the back of the fusebox to see where this linking loom attaches, and saw nothing obvious plug wise, so rather than pulling things out and forgetting where they go I will wait until the dash top is off so I can chase it back to it.

Hopefully then I can use my barrel direct into this as Miles advises and get it started.

chipstick

Dash is out and I've had a nosey.

I think I spot the 2 plugs in the glovebox which I need.

First one:

74a92fe7.jpg

Which looks to be the other end of this:

2ffb47d2.jpg

And then this one (screwdriver isn't that clear):

3cdc9618.jpg

Which appears to be the end of:

82315c03.jpg

Am I barking up the correct tree? :D

Edited by chipstick

welshpug

do the wire numbers and socket match the wiring diagrams? :P

chipstick
:blush: I didn't even give wiring diagrams a thought.

pug_ham

It looks right but I've posted a fusebox diagram before here & the ignition barrel wires go to plugs sockets MR (four wire) & BA (three wire).

You look to have found the right plugs imo.

g

CaptainK

Looking good Dan, hopefully you'll get it started soon enough :D. Let us know how you get on with it.

chipstick

I have managed to get over the shunt box issue and after connecting an ignition barrel directly into the fuse box I can make it turn over but not start.

I can't hear the fuel pump prime so I'm thinking immobiliser issue - yet I've bypassed that by using the glovebox starting plugs. I can see anything obvious tapped into anywhere else. Fuel pump fuse is fine also. (205 gti6). It's on DTA management so there's no fuel relay like a 306 loom has.

Any ideas?

rallysteve

what type of alarm is it? i likely has two immobiliser loops in which case one loop isolates the starter solenoid and the other the fuel pump. Look at the thickish white wires around the fusebox i seem to remember those going to the fuel pump. you can then tell if it has been hacked into.

Steve

Infact I think it is the top right plug on the board that does the fuel pump from memory.

Steve

chipstick

No idea Steve. It's a 90s one installed absolutely awfully. The solder and insulation tape is laughable. It's keeping me out though.

That top yellow plug is tapped into - goes to the DTA loom I think. I will have a look. Not sure where I would reconnect it to though.

Weser

Can you not just power the fuel pump directly to with a live feed possibly with a switch and then when its running turn the engine over?

chipstick

Can you not just power the fuel pump directly to with a live feed possibly with a switch and then when its running turn the engine over?

Thats what I'm hoping to try. I can't see it would cause any issues. There are 2 wires going to the pump IIRC, so if I add a live an earth to those I should be able to get the pump to work. Then turn it over and hopefully it should run.

Having a return I can't see it would bring up any flooding issues?

Weser

I think you will be fine. I did the same sort of thing to by pass my fuel pump relay when it was knackered. Used an ignition live in the fuse box to power the pump as well so it just constantly ran when the ignition was on. Had it like that for months unitl I got round to sorting the relay :D

chipstick

:lol: Providing it works for a couple of minutes that will do me.

Do you remember which contact at the pump you wired into? I don't possess a multimeter (or know how to use one) :blush:

I can just earth it to a point under the rear seat can't I?

I really need to learn about electrics. Have always been scared off by them.

Anthony

Chances are that the exising earth will be fine (earths to point behind NSR light) so you should just need a live.

However, are you sure that there's not something else more fundementally wrong? Do you hear the fuel pump relay click to suggest that the DTA is trying to prime the pump, and have you checked for spark when cranking to suggest that the DTA is actually powered up, working and seeing a signal from the crank sensor?

chipstick

Quite possibly Anthony. I don't hear anything click when the ignition is turned.

I am starting to think the immobilisor issue is deeper than just to the ignition lead and all the poor connections there on that side alone.

I notice Sandy has tapped into a couple of things in the fuse box - I now remember Kieran saying that Sandy had to do something to work around the immobilisor.

In one of the pictures I posted you can see the top right yellow plug. This white wire has been tapped into. I am guessing that is where the problem is (or one of them).

Being a noob to electrics I don't really know how to work around it. When I removed the 80's immobilisor from mine, it was a case of remove the bridged connections and join the colours back together :lol:

RE a spark, I will check for one. Having the leads instead of original coilpacks, can I just remove a spark plug and turn it over and look for a spark? Again this is something I haven't had to ever do before so forgive my ignorance. Modern cars FTW :ph34r:

Weser

:lol: Providing it works for a couple of minutes that will do me.

Do you remember which contact at the pump you wired into? I don't possess a multimeter (or know how to use one) :blush:

I can just earth it to a point under the rear seat can't I?

I really need to learn about electrics. Have always been scared off by them.

As said I did it through the fuse box as I didnt have any imoboliser issues. You will have to do it at the pump. But as Anthony says the earth should now be ok. If it earths behind the light you should beable to find that easily and the the other connector should be live.

Is it possible that the imoboliser cuts the signal to the fuel pump relay to stop that so you wouldn't get a click?

If you have a spark then all you have to sort is the petrol getting there?