• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
terrytibbs3

Gti-6 Gearbox

terrytibbs3

Hi All,

Just fitted a GTI-6 Gearbox to my XU10 engine, But I can only get 1st, 2nd, 3rd 4th and R.

Has anyone else had this happen before?

Cheers

Bish

Daviewonder

Maybe you bought a GTI-4 box by accident?

• Like 6

BlueBolt

How did you get on with this?? Did you manage to find the cure??

What made you go for the 6 box??

Batfink

I think the selector arm has dropped inside the box and this can cause an issue. Its been covered in threads of old....

BlueBolt

Am toying with the idea of a gti6 box or other boxes at the moment so the main question was the one about why he chose the 6 box...??

allye

Have to say I'm loving my 6' box. Its a little bit of a novelty having a 6th in a 205 and peoples reactions when you mention it! That aside (I'm by no means an expert or highly experienced) but the ratios seem lovely and well suited to the engine and that extra couple hundred rpm in 6th does make a difference when cruising, all the more so with my stupid noisy magnex system!

Steering lock isn't great as you know, but I manage absolutely fine, even now living int he centre of Weymouth. Its only a problem if you have to pull the cabby special U turn or take a tight mini round about.

Edited by allye

Anthony

... or if you're attempting to follow Dan through Cheddar in search of the pub, eh Ali? :P

• Like 1

BlueBolt

So The 6 box ratio is good for the 6 engine in the 205...??

Am pissed off with my boggy power delivery given by my 1.9 gearbox, so something needs to be done with it!!!!

What's the CWP number on the '6 box??

Edited by BlueBolt

allye

... or if you're attempting to follow Dan through Cheddar in search of the pub, eh Ali? :P

Haha! Like I said, only the U turns cause me issues.

So The 6 box ratio is good for the 6 engine in the 205...??

What's the CWP number on the '6 box??

As said I'm no expert but the ratios seem great to me, no idea about the CWP I'm afriad, I stay clear of gearbox spec's, just too confusing!!!

Anthony

Final drive is 19x75 / 3.94 on earlier (Phase 1) GTi-6 boxes and a slightly shorter 19x77 / 4.05 on later (Phase 2/3) GTi-6 boxes

BlueBolt

Kewl, so a 4.4 would be a good upgrade for a '6 box then?? Bring the ratios a little closer but without loosing the top end as its got the 6th gear...?? I've been told the ratios are pretty close between 3/4/5...??

Anthony

It's not that simple to change the final drive on a GTi-6 box AFAIK - it can be done, but I believe that it's very expensive.

Just fit either an off the shelf 1.6 GTi or a Xsara VTS gearbox to your engine and enjoy it - both are a fair bit shorter than a 1.9 and will make the engine feel much more lively whilst remaining sensibly road useable. The difference between a 1.6 and 1.9 might "only" be 10% on paper, but it is a night and day difference on the car.

Anyway, this is somewhat of an off-topic thread hijack....

BlueBolt

Anyway, this is somewhat of an off-topic thread hijack....

Good point, apologies

chipstick

I was thinking that when I was reading Ali's comment :lol:

welshpug

I think the selector arm has dropped inside the box and this can cause an issue. Its been covered in threads of old....

this! :)

I recently saw a minor mod someone had done to combat this, they drilled and tapped the top of the shaft so they could insert a bolt and hold it up.

Edited by welshpug

Miles

I'm sure the ratio's are the other way around, Will check thou and confirm

Anthony

That's correct according to Servicebox Miles - 19x75 up to date 19970601 and 19x77 thereafter.

I've always put it down to Peugeot fitting a shorter final drive to compensate for the extra weight of the Phase 2 models, although whether that's the real reason or not I don't know.

Miles

The Rev limit is lower on the later models, that's my idea on it. Right or wrong who knows

Cameron

Bish bought the 'box off me and as far as I know hasn't taken any of the selector levers off for the arms to be able to drop down. The box worked fine when it came off the car, now for some reason it doesn't.. very confusing!

He'd put a breather on in place of the lift-up reverse cable by mistake, something I've done before and been unable to get a couple of gears, but taking this off didn't seem to help. Bish - did you take off both breathers and try it?

terrytibbs3

How did you get on with this?? Did you manage to find the cure??

What made you go for the 6 box??

I've only got 4 gear, but it pull much better and seems more aggressive! I like it.

Sign in to follow this