• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
luke1987

8V Turbo Actuator Upgrade

luke1987

Hi all having done some searches on google and a few forums has anybody changed the actuator on the sri turbo engine for an uprated item? I know a few people have but cant find out what they used, having spoken to forge they dont make a bolt on item but I know some 200sx's use the same turbo so is it just a matter of using one of those and modding the bracket so it fits? Thanks.

peter

i used one from an impreza seemed to hold boost at a constant pressure, did need quite a bit of modification though

luke1987

How did you get round the bent rod and what sort of boost were you running? Cheers.

Tom Fenton

If you run a proper boost controller the standard actuator will make 1.5 bar. Well, it does on mine anyhow.

sounds of silence

can use a cosworth -31 actuator

only slight mod to the bracket to fix it on

luke1987

Thats what i thought of using a cosworth one, the collins look ideal the problem im having is the boost wont seem to turn up im running a turbosmart single stage controller but wound out fully it only seems to give an extra 2 psi. I have checked and double checked the actuator is set right and pressure tested the pipe work for leaks and found none, so the only thing i can think of is the actuator itself but as i have 2 they both do the same thing it used to work fine before the dimma set on fire but since its never been right. if i plug the standard boost controller into the lines as well then it seems to work but spikes all over so the only thing left to blame is the actuator but whats the chance of having 2 faulty ones cheers guys.

sounds of silence

what boost are you making ?

most of the 8v turbos the actuators do become weak over time hence we upgrade them

would be surprised if 2 were making the exact same boost tho

have seen in the past just taking the pipe clean off the actuator so its unregulated and still only making 10psi

Jarrus

Aren't you supposed to wind the controller inwards to make more boost using an MBC like that? I got a TD04 actuator to fit a GT2560R, was that big a job and I think the actuator pressure on the TD04 was 15psi from an Impreza WRX

luke1987

Ive had another look and its looking more like the actuator, the boost controller is definitely working i can hear the air being bled off when its on and it stops when its off i pulled the pipe off the controller whille driving and can feel the air being bled off theres only 2 psi increase in pressure like this and with the controller on full. So i removed the pipe from the actuator and went for a spin and its producing unlimited boost, it just seems funny that if i splice the standard boost control solenoid into the mix and turn on the boost controller as well it produces between 15/20 psi but spikes massively, Its like theres not enough air being bled off by the turbo smart controller. This is what its doing.

6 Psi is normal no controller on.

8 Psi is controller on max setting or pipe pulled from controller.

15/20 Psi with boost controller on and standard controller connected but spikes all over.

And yes it hits 20 psi fuel cut doesnt seem to work.

cheers guys.

sounds of silence

sounds more like either the boost controller is not working correctly or not been fitted correctly

Sign in to follow this