• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bondyshambles

Heater Blower Problem 205 1.9 1990 Ph1.5

bondyshambles

Hi there

Recently purchased a 1.9 205 but the heater motor doesn't work. I have been under the glovebox and can see the motor. If i have the ignition on and turn the blower to full, the ignition stop and battery lights slightly dim. There are 4 wires into the heater, 2 from the right (on a plug, yellow and red) and 2 from the left (black and brown, as 2 seperate spade cons). The 2 leads from the left became very warm, even to the point that i could smell them (or the heater). Am i to assume that the power is fine to the heater and that it is jammed, bearings gone etc? I was told that the car had been standing for a bit before i got it. Any help would be a bonus to a novice like myself.

allye

If you look where those 4 wires go into the heater motor, that section un-screws and comes out reveling the rheostat/resistor which always fail, I only got mine working 3rd time lucky! You can buy them new for £45 odd :huh:

bondyshambles

If you look where those 4 wires go into the heater motor, that section un-screws and comes out reveling the rheostat/resistor which always fail, I only got mine working 3rd time lucky! You can buy them new for £45 odd :huh:

Rheostat resistor ? Enlighten me please.

allye

Careful though as there are two types with different amount of pins, so check which one you have!

bondyshambles

Careful though as there are two types with different amount of pins, so check which one you have!

There always seems to be 2 different types of everything !!!! Thanks for your help.

bondyshambles

Hi Guys.....just to clear up this thread, i took the heater blower out (correct, just under the passenger side undo 3 screws unlike the "take half the dashboard out" Haynes manual ) and the rheostat resistor. I cleaned the resistor (mine was a 5 pin) and then saw that the blower was not moving freely. My car was known to have been standing for a bit and it looked like the bearings or something like that had seized. E-bay job for £25 and bingo heater is working. Wish all the problems on my car were this simple.

Cheers for all your help.

eastlondonpug

FYI - I had an issue with my rheostat sometime ago. I have noticed that the resistor? (small watch battery type thing) was a little corroded so I slid it out of the clip on the rheostat and gave it a quick blast of wd40.. Works perfectly since then. Maybe a shortcut fix for some.