• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
camgti

Ph2 Xsara Vts Be4 Gearbox

camgti

Morning Gents.

After removal of the VTS engine over the weekend I also bought the box home as I want to be able to make the best gearbox for my current project out of a few I have lying around.

In other 16v 205s Ive really enjoyed the BE3 with an MI16 FD. Seemed to suit the engine in the 205 really well.

Anyway. After much searching, Im still a little confused as to why a VTS BE4 box is a better or more useful box to use. It seems to have some cooling fins on the underside of the box and the area around the diff looks to be stronger and squared off.

It seems to have all the brackets on the top to use a pull type cable which Im happy to convert it too by using the correct cable ( or am I missing something? )

What are the ratios like as I cant seem to get the info for the PH2 BE4 box ( its from a 2005 VTS here in OZ ). Similar to S16 but with a slightly longer second?

Are there advantages to using this box, stronger, great ratios etc or should I just use a BE3 again...

Thanks in advance.

After searching through Google and here there are quite a few topics covering this but I just want to make sure as the box may be different due to being over here in OZ

Cheers

Cam

Edited by camgti

dcc

I am 99% sure when I say this, but I think that will be a BE3 box, with almost identical ratios to a mi16 1.9 gearbox.

welshpug

Probably is a BE4 box being that late a car, though bellhousing may still be BE3, much like the 6 speed box.

Not sure of the internal gear ratios specifically, can't check at the mo as SB is down for the usual updating on a Sunday afternoon :lol: Its likely to have the usual BE3-4 differences like different splines under 3/4 might be different bearing size behind 5th and a few other minor details.

camgti

post-5385-0-11388900-1335344983_thumb.jpg

The Box has BE4 printed on it if that helps...

Here is a couple of photos

Cam

camgti
post-5385-0-97610600-1335345089_thumb.jpg

camgti
post-5385-0-28275500-1335345251_thumb.jpg

camgti

post-5385-0-47008800-1335345451_thumb.jpg

This help out decipher what box it is? Any idea of possible ratios?

Cam

welshpug

Servicebox says its a BE3R

MARKING TE32 TA55 CH52 TB92 TE47 (TD82) TD82

- TACHO TORQUE 22X19

CP 14X62 4.42

gearing is;

2334 17 DRIVEN PINION 1ERE 38DTS (13X38) - BE3 P 2.92

2335 51 DRIVEN PINION 2EME 43 DTS (23X43) - BE3 P 1.86

2336 54 DRIVEN PINION 3/4EME (25X32-41X39) - BE3 P 1.28 / 0.95

2338 25 DRIVEN PINION 5EME 35DTS (47X35) - BE3 P 0.74

petert

So all but identical to an Mi16.

camgti

Ok Peter. I guess it will suit the engine Im going to use anyway. COnsidering how much power Im expecting I think a BE3 with an MI16 FD would be a tad short.. THoughts?

Cam

welshpug

depends which gearset you mean?

petert

depends which gearset you mean?

Mi16 is 2.92, 1.85, 1.28, 0.97, 0.76

Anyone who could tell the difference has their hand on it.

I'd just use it as is Cam, as 0.74 x 4.42 isn't that short.

welshpug

I was asking Cam sorry Pete, the box as a whole isn't that short but a nice set of ratios as you say though :)

Edited by welshpug

camgti

Welsh,

Ill be running about 250hp+ and want it to be as drivable yet frantic.

Cam

pip470

Did you use this box in the end? If so what clutch did you use? I have tried a gti 6 one but it doesnt seem to give the pedal the travel i need to depress the clutch fully.

Miles

Have you got the white bush's as I guess your using the pull type of clutch still?

pip470

Still using the pull type clutch, I thought it was just the automatic tensioner was broken on the old cable so struggled fitting a new gti-6 cable which is very tight on the turbo engine. I chose the gti-6 one as its the only one i knew it used a pull clutch .Not sure what white bungs you mean miles? So I guess not. Ive added extra packers to the end of the cable as this cable still seems too long. Im not sure what gearbox this is. Ive got some pics if anyone can help?

post-8104-0-53425600-1351455119.jpg

post-8104-0-73129600-1351455235_thumb.jpg

post-8104-0-39957300-1351455258.jpg

dcc

they're the little plastic bits which are at either end of the clutch arm shaft, there are 2 types as there are 2 types of arm angle pressing the release bearing

pip470

Do you have any pictures dan? Ive been searching google images but can not find them. I must of come across these before but i just cant picture what you are explaining.

pip470

Ahh ok so ive just checked and i have the white bushes. So as far as i can tell this is correct. Im hoping a Citroen berlingo clutch cable is shorter than a gti 6 one.

welshpug

doubtful, its the same bulkhead+pedal box+subframe+gearbox...

pip470

I cant work out why this is not working very well then. i need to add more spacers and see if its any better.

Flying205Nutter

I cant work out why this is not working very well then. i need to add more spacers and see if its any better.

I am using all Vts in my 205 (box, clutch and cable) To get it to work properly I needed to alter the pedal to give it more travel. I moved my pedal mounting point 15mm towards the rear of the car and lengthened the arm on the back by 20mm (approx, its as long as I could make it without rubbing) This works beautifully and is much better then my old pull mi clutch.