• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Schern

1.6 Gti Fuel Pump And Poor Starting Issue

Schern

I seem to have a bit of an issue with the fuel pump continuing to run on after the ignition is off. I can completely remove the keys and it will just keep going. It doesn't do it every time but once it starts it doesn't seem to stop. I just disconnect the battery and leave it for a bit. It also seems to be linked to a re-starting issue. The car will fire up if it's been stood for a while but once it's been running for a while it won't restart. If I disconnect the fuel pump and crank it for a few seconds it will fire but stall quite quickly so it's a case of fire it up and quickly re-connect the fuel pump and it will then run fine. It sounds like it wants to stall for a few seconds but then seems to sort itself out (once rail pressure returns I guess).

Another issue (and I don't know if it's related) is that it produces a lot of white smoke when started up. It spends most of its time sat in a shed and only gets fired up and given a very short run rounds the yard a couple of times a month so I'd guess it's just condensation. There's a small amount of white deposit in the filler cap but not the explosion that I'd expect to see if the head gasket had gone. Is it likely to just be condensation, down to overfueling or something more sinister?

20120421_173801.jpg

Tom Fenton

The fuel pump issue sounds like a sticking fuel pump relay (know on a 205 as the tachymetric relay). It isn't uncommon for them to do this, you can buy a brand new one through a Bosch agent for not a scandalous amount.

Re: the smoke, I wouldn't worry too much about it until it is getting properly used. In actual fact the running it up and round the yard is possibly doing more harm than good.

Schern

Would a tach fault cause the restarting issue too?

The problem I have is that I want to use it as a track car but don't want to splash out on a track day and then only complete half a lap! Wanted to get an MOT on it anyway so might have to cough up for 6 months tax and insurance and run it on the road for a while.

lemmingzappa

I recently had the same issue with my fuel pump, and changing the relay fixed it for me. As stated above.

Sign in to follow this