• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mattg

Engine Temperature / Fan Cut In

mattg

Hi Guys,

Bit of a puzzle with my 1.9 GTI.

I'm not sure if the car is running too hot or if the fan is just cutting in earlier than it should. This is the point at which the fan cuts in on the gauge (and stays on until the car is under the second line i.e it's been switched off a while!)...

d2e2aee7.jpg

Basically, having rebuilt the whole car i've replaced the following..

Hoses

Radiator

Water pump

Thermostat

Temp sensor in rad

Is the photo above when the fan should cut in? If not, do you think it could be the sensor in the rad that although new is perhaps not the right one? Anything else it could be?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Matt

welshpug

the gauges do often scare many people as the 1.9 especially runs quite cool under normal running conditions and only gets near the fan cut in temp when sat in traffic for some time.

the temp shown above would be around 85 degrees, most have an 83 degree thermostat and the fan switch cuts in at 92, and out at 88 from memory, you may have a low temp fan switch fitted.

goes without saying that if you turn the engine off then the fan will stay on for a while as the coolant isn't circulating.

mattg

Thanks Welshpug, that seems to be the cars normal running temp which makes sense with an 83 degree stat (which is what I have) So it does sound like I have mistakenly fitted a low temp fan switch which is putting the fan on too early and then never switching off with the engine running as the stat closes up before it's cool enough to turn the fan off, then as you say with the engine off it stays on ages while the coolant stops circulating. I think you have solved my problem sir!

Any recommended suppliers for the correct fan switch so I don't get the wrong one again?

Sign in to follow this