• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Sinbad

Wiring Problems,sparks At The Battery Terminals

Sinbad

I have changed the melted wiring that caught fire yesterday,got some good used live and negative cables today.

Went round and checked all the earth points,also fitted a spare alternator i had aswell after the other one started smoking.

Checked all,and checked again,connected the battery up negative 1st, and when i joined the live it sparked more than what i class as normal.

Im at a loss at to whats causing this,i have checked all the wiring and it seems as it should be.I just dont get it?

Any suggestions??

Please help if you can.

welshpug

there must be something drawing some current, was the ignition off?

Sinbad

It was off yes.

I know,im struggling to find what it is!!!

I darent attempt to even turn the key yet.

GLPoomobile

Stating the obvious, but you should connect positive first and then negative. I don't know how much "normal sparking" is, but doing it that way you are going to get sparking!

allye

You've got a short somewhere, this is exactly what mine did in what I explained in the other thread.

• Like 1

Slo

Disconnect the starter first and remove all the cables from the small fusebox on the bulkhead. Then try the battery if it ok then its narrowed down to starter and radiator fan(s) and main fusebox

• Like 1

Sinbad

Stating the obvious, but you should connect positive first and then negative. I don't know how much "normal sparking" is, but doing it that way you are going to get sparking!

Always got told the neg 1st,but hey ho.

Disconnected the starter live,no sparking.

Very strange as the starter was starting the car fine?? anyway im not trying it,it can go in the bin as thats obviously the culprit.

Thank you so much to everyone who has helped suggest things over the past 2 days.

My head is up my ring with it as i bought it in bits.I have never owned a 205 and done a full engine rebuild which started 1st time and then this has gazumped me! lol

GLPoomobile

They always tell you in Haynes manuals to disconnect the negative first when disconnecting the battery, and reconnect it last when reconnecting the battery. Similarly, when it comes to connecting jump leads you connect positive first, then negative.

Liquid_106

Glad you got it sorted Andy ;)

Slo

Have you done any long starts without it firing recently? The starter solenoid will more than likely have melted and short circuited, it was this that more than likely took out the alternator too!

Sinbad

Yeah,it was when i was building up oil pressure for the 1st start up after the rebuild more than likely.

Sign in to follow this