• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sam-barker

Advice Required On My 309 Project: Gear Rods

sam-barker

Hi, wondered if anyone could help me.

A while ago i bought a ph1 309 (1.3 Talbot engine)

The engine was binned straight away to make place for a 1.9 TD engine which is now in and running sweet.

I now need to sort the gear linkages out.

The standard engine was fitted with the BE1 gearbox with the lift reverse.

It now has the standard gearbox which came with the 1.9td (1998 car) which i beleive is BE3?

Anyway, the gear rods arent right, and i need to sort some out!

Do you think 1.9 gti rods will be ok?

And if they will be ok, does anyone have any for sale?

Cheers

welshpug

gear rods should work just fine afaik if it was a BE box, but have you changed the top arm on the gearbox that's secured with a pair of roll pins?

its a different shape to the 205 one.

Edited by welshpug

sam-barker

Yeah that's the trouble I have noticed. It looks like a nightmare to change, considered heating it up and bending it round so it would work.

Looks like the top lever is held in wIth a pin though which doesn't look like it will come out easily

allanallen

The arm is double roll pinned on, not that difficult to do but it's a pain if the box is in the car. If you do remove the arm don't let the shaft drop into the box, if it does you tend to lose 5th and reverse and it's a ball ache to sort.

I've cut and welded the arms before aswell as cut, bend and reposition the ball. The choice is yours!

Al

sam-barker

Thanks for the advice, think that will be the option now the engine is in the car

Sign in to follow this