• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
unariciflocos

Mi16 Strange Noise Timing Belt Side

unariciflocos

A bit of background info. The engine died last year in August with electrical problems, there was no more spark, towed it home, used the engine for braking as I was towed. Was stored outside all winter long with temperatures of -25. Engine is a newly rebuilt Mi16 which ran perfectly until it lost spark, engine just stopped as I was driving.

I've just installed my throttle bodies, new Vems ECU, and started the engine. At first I had the two coils the other way around and got two missfires out the inlet, but after that engine started just fine.

Now I'm getting a really loud whining noise from the timing belt side, but it sounds like it's coming from inside the engine. I've taken the cover of the belt off, taken the belt off the alternator to make sure it's not that, taken the rocker cover off, but found no obvious signs of damage.

My suspects now are either the water pump or some sort of internal damage due to freezing maybe?

Will I need to whip the head off?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwf1n7Syi80

Green Machine

it says video is unavailable.

But im guessing its either

1, cam belt tensioner bearings are failing

2, can belt is tensioned to tightly

3, water pump bearings are failing

4, depending on the sound & you should see some evidence on the belt- the belt is rubbing on trim or sides of pullys.

If you have completely disconected the alternator to eliminate that and the noise is still there, my first check would be the tension on the cambelt. I have seen a few that whine due to it being over tightened

Michael

Green Machine

ok the vid plays now.

It sounds more like a bearing squeak to me then a whine, I would pull the cambelt off and inspect the water pump and tensioner bearing

Edited by Green Machine

unariciflocos

I tried to whip off the cam belt and water pump yesterday and scraped the skin off the back of my hands. Will try and drop the engine on the gearbox side today for better access. I sure hope it's not the case of some internal damage. Any more opinions welcome.

unariciflocos

Didn't manage to get to the bottom of this yet. Has anyone heard this sound before?

How much blow by is normal? I took the two oil breather hoses off the block and it's puffing air and spiting oil onto the radiator. Is that normal?

luggy

Didn't manage to get to the bottom of this yet. Has anyone heard this sound before?

How much blow by is normal? I took the two oil breather hoses off the block and it's puffing air and spiting oil onto the radiator. Is that normal?

Might be an idea to do a compression test so see which pot may possibly over pressuring the crankcase.

unariciflocos

Because I hate it when people don't post solutions to the problem of the thread here goes.

Being a bit mentally unstable, after searching for the whine for a whole day, I cracked and took the engine apart. I then changed the head for a completely rebuilt one, changed the liners for a spare set with less wear, changed the pistons for a spare set with less wear and 8V rods, new rings, new water pump, new head gasket, new head bolts, new oil and filter and after a whole day of putting it back together the whine was gone.

To be honest, I think it was the water pump, but I can now rest easy knowing the engine is solid.

Sign in to follow this