• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
macaroni

How To Remove The Top Timing Cover On Mi16 Conversion?

macaroni

I'm sure this is meat and veg to you guys, but I just can't remove the top timing belt cover on my mi16 converted 205!

I've undone the 2 allen keys and remove the retaining clip, no problem. Thing is I can't create enough space for the cover to clear the retaining clip pins.

The loom goes between the cover and the inner wing and leaves the timing cover no room to come forward.

I have tried lifting the loom over the timing cover, but there is no room between the mounting for the engine mounting and the inner wing for it to pass between.

Thus, I'm a bit stuck!

Anyone had a similar problem?

Green Machine

Im not sure if this is the bit your struggling on but here goes, Place a jack under the sump with a soft bit of wood, gently take the strain off the top engine mount so you can undo and remove it, this should give you room then to pull the loom out the way enough for the cover to come out.

unariciflocos

It's the bottom pin that holds it, you have to try and push the bottom towards the chassis leg in order to free it.

macaroni

Thanks for the replies.

I have now got the loom out of the way, and released the bottom pin and the lower holding screw.

Now it just seems there is no room for it to come out, between one of the brake pipes coming out the master cylinder and the casting that holds the alternator and top engine mount.

I'm either going to have to remove the alternator and this casting, or unplug one of the brake pipes. Both if which must be unnecessary to remove a timing belt top cover, but I can see no other way.

Do many mi16 conversion owners run their cars without a top cover?

macaroni

Yep, done it by removing the alternator, and the casting that holds it.

Total ball-ache and I can't believe that is the only way to do it!

Anyway, I'd still like to know if anyone runs mi16s without the top cover on!

Green Machine

I personally dont advise running with out cambelt covers, only takes 1 stone to get caught in there and its bye bye valves. This happened at pugfest 1 year, told a guy to put them back on 20 mins later he went in the gravel and camblet gave in due to stones getting in there.

macaroni

OK, sounds sensible but there must be an easier way to fit this thing without pulling the alternator off?!

unariciflocos

Once I got the hang of it, It's quite easy for me to take off mine, however mine's a LHD car, no brake cylinder in the way. You should still be able to remove it through the top though.

B1ack_Mi16

I think I had to take the top mount of when I had the 1.9 Mi16 in my old 205, the new engine uses a 2.0 Mi16 cover (iron block) and on that one it's straight forward to remove the cover.

Silly design in the first place on the 1.9 one.

macaroni

I can do this by removing the top engine mount and the fuel filter canister next to the brake servo.

Bit of a fiddle, but a lot easier that removing the inlet manifold/alternator and lower engine mounting casting!

Sign in to follow this