• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
skinner2k3

106 Gti Hg

skinner2k3

I currently have the head off the 106 due to a rad full (slight exaggeration perhaps) of oil.

Two questions, firstly the gasket removed was 1.5mm thick, is that the original thickness?

Also other than HG or if fitted a heat exchanger splitting is there any other reason I could have oil in the rad?

welshpug

only if someone topped up the rad with oil, standard TU5's do have a heat exchanger.

there are three gaskets available for them, afaik 1.5 is standard, Sandy could confirm :)

209 Z0 CYL HEAD GASKET CN

0209 W3 REPAR + 0,20

0209 Z1 REPAR + 0,40

Edited by welshpug

skinner2k3

Definitely not been topped up with oil :)

No cooler or heat exchanger on this one, its a 1997 car.

Will depend on the skim req then.

Cheers

welshpug

afaik all gti's had the heat exchanger :)

skinner2k3

I may be wrong but I would be looking for a oil filter sandwich plate with two lines off to a T in the rad top hose. Unless there is another type I haven't noticed, I am sure this one does not have one, and hasn't since I have had it at least.

welshpug

quite common for them to be removed :)

Alan_M

Don't TUs suffer from the oil to water ways passing at the front left corner (where the PAS pump is). Usually a tell-tale sign is if oil is leaking from here. Took me ages to flush all the oil out of mine!

skinner2k3

Ah, that corner was the only part of the HG that did look knackered. There is a rubber coated metal seal there that had detached from the gasket.

Sandy

Standard J4 gasket 1.35mm. Most 106 GTIs didn't have the oil/water heat exchanger bizarrely, but VTSs did, don't know why!

Make sure you use the MLS gasket (multi layered steel) and NOT a composite one, there was a recall on them originally, but I think only affected cars had the change. The OE 0209Z0 is MLS.

skinner2k3

Cheers Sandy. The gasket I removed was composite. I was planning on going to Peugeot for a new one rather than partco or similar, but will insist on an mls.

If a 1.5mm was fitted I assume it's had 1 skim.