• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mikespug

Help Needed Fast

mikespug

For them of you that have not read my other posts here so quick info on my car....

Was off the road for 10 years I finally got round to getting her on the road Sunday just gone

I have fitted (all new parts) quick shift,gear links,engine mounts,drive sharft,plugs,leads ect and clutch been ok for 2 days no problems at all but on the way to work today it started :(

Every time I pull away in first or reverse it feels like the car is going to cut out,the engine shacks that bad you feel it through everything but only lasts about 3 or 4 secs. You can also feel it when changing down gears but going up is ok no problem at all

I do have a oil leak somewhere by the gear box but just can't pin point it

So do you think I'm right in thinking it could be oil on the fly wheel or clutch ? If so what oil seals do you think I will need

Can anyone think of anything else it could be ???

Thanks for spending the time to read and maybe helping me out

S@m

First thing you need to ascertain is which type of oil is it? Engine oil or gearbox oil, as i'm sure you know gearbox oil smells rancid so is generally easy to spot. That will significantly narrow down which seal could be leaking.

Sam

welshpug

bad connection either to an earth or the shunt box.

mikespug

The oil has no smell but is jet black and the oil on the dip stick is clear and golden

Shunt box ? What is that ?

Edited by mikespug

205kenny

If the oil does not smell, its not gear oil. Gear box oil has a very distinctive smell.

Its hard to find oil leaks, especially on a car thats 20 years old. Best bet is to clean the engine as best you can, then run the car up to tempreture. That should make it alot easier to pin point the leak.

mikespug

Do you think it could be oil on the clutch that's making s*it to pull away ? Going to strip it down over the weekend if weather is ok

cybernck

Shunt box ? What is that ?

It's a little black box with fuses bolted to the slam panel (or behind the headlight).

Sign in to follow this