• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GilesW

Are All Speedlines Speedlines?

GilesW

I've seen that you get different SMR's with different weights, and was wondering if all Speedlines are one manufacturer?

Is there only one Speedline manufacturer, and are all speedlines the same?

- ie ones from a 1.9 205 all the same, and ones off the 309's and 309 Goodwoods the same?

Tom Fenton

As with lots of things on mass produced cars, the building company often changed suppliers or used more than one supplier at the same time in order to ensure a continuous supply of whatever part.

In practical terms unless anyone knows better, it seems that there is no pattern as to what wheels came on what car. Add into the mix that you don't know 20yrs on if a car has the same wheels it left with the factory on, its anyones guess if there was any pattern or not.

Miles

Also the wheels on the 205 where never fitted with Speedlines, they just made them. But there is a SL number which I cannot recall without looking at some which is the model of wheel,

Much like people calling Vacume cleaner's Hover's

GilesW

Ah ok.

These wheels are definately marked "Speedline" and "SL2994" and are off a 309 Goodwood and what I'm really after knowing is will they be the 'lighter than the SMR's' to of Sppeline (as per the weights thread). Or is there a chance that they may not (if there are a few Speedline variants??).

Baz

Yes.

There's about 4 different mfr's of the same basic design of 1.9 wheel, originally manufactured by Speedline.

There's a few threads that discuss it to quite a degree! :)

GilesW

Despite Google and the own forum search I've not seen a thread that says how to identifiy a Speedline manufacturer.

Indeed the 2 hours of surfing has only shown me that SMR's had several manufacturers, but haven't seen anything that Speedline wheels where anything other than a single manufacturer (weather stamped"Speedline" and "SL2994" or not).

[cue Baz linking a thread that does ay it].

So - if there are several; 309 Goodwood Speedline marked wheel manufactures are you saying they can be differenty weights?

If so how can I tell without weighing one?

Anthony

Any 1.9 alloy stamped "Speedline" will be one of the lighter ones.

GilesW

Ah. Thanks Anthony (opps - owe you a PM).

Baz

And all proper original Goodwood wheels were Speedlines too!

chipstick

Much like people calling Vacume cleaner's Hover's

Or even Vacuum cleaners , Hoovers

• Like 2

sensualt101

from what i can make out the 1.9 type are often just called speedlines and the standard ones designated sl299 but the 1.6 type are also made by speedline and designated sl201.

1 other aftermarket peugeot 205 gti wheels that speedline make are designated sl434 and i believe were made originally for racing and i have found that some were made from lighter alloy than those for sale now.

regarding the sl299 i know of 3 manufacturers that made wheels to that design were speedline ( italy ) , smr ( france ) and another in belgium. ( i am not sure of the belgian producer so please feel free to say if you know? )

as regards your original question i am of the opinion that all the genuine and lightest sl299's were all produced by speedline in italy and will be marked as such.

as always i appologise if any of this is innaccurate but its all i could find researching on the net

i hope this may help :)

welshpug

SL299 was the speedline code, I don't think you'll find that code on an SMR.

Zara

as people pointed out already speedlines are lighter :)

Baz

http://forum.205gtid...howtopic=118788

http://forum.205gtid...howtopic=112980

from what i can make out the 1.9 type are often just called speedlines and the standard ones designated sl299 but the 1.6 type are also made by speedline and designated sl201.

1 other aftermarket peugeot 205 gti wheels that speedline make are designated sl434 and i believe were made originally for racing and i have found that some were made from lighter alloy than those for sale now.

regarding the sl299 i know of 3 manufacturers that made wheels to that design were speedline ( italy ) , smr ( france ) and another in belgium. ( i am not sure of the belgian producer so please feel free to say if you know? )

as regards your original question i am of the opinion that all the genuine and lightest sl299's were all produced by speedline in italy and will be marked as such.

as always i appologise if any of this is innaccurate but its all i could find researching on the net

i hope this may help :)

Nice try.

Speedline is just a wheel manufacturer, i'm not sure why but some ill-informed people call 1.9 wheels 'Speedlines' for some reason these days, not classically i wouldn't say though. There's also a few mfr's of the 1.6 wheels.

SL434's were the GpA rally wheel, again made by Speedline, like many other wheels, and were the same design as SL431's that were wider and for racing. They weren't made from a 'lighter alloy' at all, or even magnesium as some people seem to think. There were some others too.

As i said there's 4 mfr's of the 1.9 wheel, as in the threads above.

As said, SL299's were made by Speedline only as that's their coding.

Edited by Baz
  • Like 1

sensualt101

http://forum.205gtid...howtopic=118788

http://forum.205gtid...howtopic=112980

Nice try.

Speedline is just a wheel manufacturer, i'm not sure why but some ill-informed people call 1.9 wheels 'Speedlines' for some reason these days, not classically i wouldn't say though. There's also a few mfr's of the 1.6 wheels.

SL434's were the GpA rally wheel, again made by Speedline, like many other wheels, and were the same design as SL431's that were wider and for racing. They weren't made from a 'lighter alloy' at all, or even magnesium as some people seem to think. There were some others too.

As i said there's 4 mfr's of the 1.9 wheel, as in the threads above.

As said, SL299's were made by Speedline only as that's their coding.

thanks for the correction baz

like i said i wrote basing on what i had found searching on the web but as always not finding definitive answers but i know i can always rely on someone here to give me decent reliable information! :)