• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mogsman

Timing Marks?

mogsman

Hi all, I'm in the middle of a cambelt and water pump change. I cannot see any marks on the top cover to line up the new belt. Does this matter. At the moment I have the cam locked, bottom pulley off and the tensioner loosened. The old belt has no visible marks either. What do I do next?

Ian

Anthony

I never pay attention to any marks on the belt on XU engines - so long as the timing holes like up on the cam and crank pulleys, and the tensioner is correctly set (which you pretty much can't get wrong on the spring tensioner) then it'll be correct.

Tom Fenton

So long as the crank doesn't move then you cannot really go far wrong. The cam is locked by your pin so cannot move. If you are not confident make a couple of paint pen marks between crank toothed pulley and the alloy housing behind it before you remove the old belt.

Personally I've never bothered with the lines on the belt, as soon as you have rotated the engine once they will never line up again anyway.

When you have fitted and tensioned the new belt, wind the engine over 2 complete turns with a spanner on the crank bolt, and test that your pin will still go in the cam pulley to make sure all is well before you try and start it.

mogsman

Timing holes are lined on both pulleys. I have loosened the front two nuts and rear nut and turned the flat pin to horizontal. This made the belt slack, so I must be on the right track. Going to take it off now, thanks for the replies.

Ian

mogsman

Got it all in, turned over twice by hand and the holes lined up. I have run the engine briefly and it seems alright. I have one bolt left over for the lower cover to the bottom of the water pump. It will not fit but is fine still on the old pump. Any ideas for a replacement bolt?

Ian

Sign in to follow this