Jump to content
  • Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

    Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

What Are The Laws On Tyres Poking Outside The Arch?

Recommended Posts

johnnyboy666

a little taster

 

 

*disclaimer: purists may suffer rectal prolapse whilst veiwing this image*

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
welshpug
:blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
johnnyboy666

dont forget, its not finished yet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kyepan

Cool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chipstick

I admire you for going through with an idea and posting it.

 

You may find you don't commit to keeping it like that for whatever reason, but can at least say you've tried the idea you had.

 

Better the devil you know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
S@m

Pretty sure the fuzz will be straight on to that! I was thinking about a few mm protruding not that much!

I will be honest and say that i don't like it, but then who gives a f*** what i think? Respect for doing your own thing.

 

Sam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chipstick

^ I am presuming from the original question about material covering it that there will be some wide arches fitted over them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
welshpug

i'd be more concerned about the tyre-arch interface that is inevitable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cameron

Wow.. wasn't expecting that much!! :lol:

 

As above.. are you planning to fit some Berg Cup arches or anything? Otherwise I'm with the fuzz on it being a bit illegal. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kyepan

is it on super wide spacers? and how far can you go with rolling arches before you have to cut them out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
welshpug

on the back of a 5 door, not far at all :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
johnnyboy666

theres no spacers on the rears, theyre 10j x13 wellers and fit suprisingly well with no inner arch contact.

 

as for any tyre-arch contact, i was initially concern that it would catch on every bump, but ive tried to force it to catch but it just wont! even deliberately wanging it round a hairpin bend. (23mm rear arb might be helping)

 

as said, there will be wide arches on soon, however the ones I had originally planned to use (fiberglass ones from wardy) are going to need to much modification to be time-effective, so I'm edging towards using some metal arches instead, as theyll be easier to adjust, trim, attach etc. there will be substantial amounts of the arch trimmed out, my innitiall thoughts were that it would need some of the lower part of the door trimming down too, but I may not need to do that now.

 

I appreciate that this wont be everybodies cup of tea, but i wouldnt be doing this to a mint GTi, just pushing some boundaries with a base model and seeing what happens

 

one of the other issues I may encounter is that the rear arch will have to be two peices, the front peice will be able to open with the door (in theory) unless I can trim the door in such a way that it can open over the arch. time will tell!

 

here another pic from the rear

 

pic

post-9599-0-64763900-1333107895_thumb.jpg

Edited by johnnyboy666

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kyepan

does the sticker on the tail gate say "scrappage scheme survivor?"

 

I gotta get me one of those.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
johnnyboy666

Yes, yes it does :D it was on it when I bought the car and I thought it was awesome so I left it on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kyepan

WANT!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlueBolt

WANT!

 

+1!!

 

Also, only my opinion, but that looks awesome with the wide stance!!!

I've seen a few mk1 golf's like that and really like it!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
johnnyboy666

it's still standard base model ride height on the rear at the mo (aka 4x4) but when i ve sorted the arches out it'll get lowered to match the front, so it should look a little better then I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SurGie

There is legal guidance (which I can't find right now) saying that this is to be interpreted as meaning the tread of the tyre must be covered from above.

 

I always thought that only the flat tread part was not allowed to be seen, however the oval sides are ?

Edited by SurGie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SurGie

does the sticker on the tail gate say "scrappage scheme survivor?"

 

I gotta get me one of those.

 

Me too for my ratty 5 door ;)

 

I quite like the look of your 5 door and wheels, reminds me of the golfs i see about quite often, well wide wheels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tom Fenton

Check out wheel arch kits for classic minis. They are the right sort of radius for 13" wheels and grp so easy to modify. Something like group 5 or miglia arches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
johnnyboy666

I've just aqquired myself some galvanised steel wheel arches for the rear, Theyll pretty much be completely unique by the time Im finished with them, and theyre so much more robust than grp

 

they ar far too wide yet tho, so whilst cutting some width off, I'll contour them to the original arches and remove as much of the standard arch as I can. then a few rivets in the non visible areas and some tigerseal where rim meets arch, and we might be some where close!

 

difficult bit will be getting the other side as identical as possible (mind you my car isnt exactly symetrical!)

 

the way these new arches are rolled, it should look a little bit like a tyre hugger rear mudguard on a chopper or bobber type effect :)

 

cheers Mr Fenton, I shall bare that in mind for the front arches as im still deciding what to do with them

 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FUNNY-CAR-STICKER-SCRAPPAGE-SCHEME-SURVIVOR-FORD-CLIO-/190649307716?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c63959244

 

and theres a link to some similar stickers

 

and also I cant beleive nobody has mocked the removed wing mirror, dodgy badly fitting driving lights, MASSIVE jagermeister sicker or my lovely dented wings!

 

and the first person to tell me what missing from the roof wins this emotocon :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlueBolt

and the first person to tell me what missing from the roof wins this emotocon :D

 

Sunroof?? :lol:

Paint??

Half/fully naked lady??

Roof rack??

Luggage compartment thingy??

I'm really no good at this lol

:lol: :lol:

 

Arial??

Edited by BlueBolt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rich_p

Those wheels are exactly the sort of thing I want to run on the 309 so I can run cheap wide slicks! What offset are they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×