• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cybernck

What Sort Of Exhaust System For A Gti-6 Conversion?

Cameron

The size of an exhaust should surely be an exact science, if i remember way back wern`t people creating "tuned length" systems, using optimum pipe diameters and lengths to provide extractor systems, which scavenged the exhaust gasses by providing a negative exhaust pulse at the valve just before it closed, obviously this isn`t applicable where a turbo is used , but the point is, like women say , size isn`t everything :)

All that work is done in the manifold, the rest of the system is just a means of getting the gases from the main collector (where the primaries / secondaries join up) to the point you need them to exit (i.e. the tailpipe) and should be as free-flowing as possible. From what I understand, and maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, there's no such thing as a system that's too free-flowing. The diameter of the system is purely a package / weight / cost / acoustic trade-off and the guidelines on diameter are just that - a guide.

Ps - note system = after manifold.

billybluesky

All that work is done in the manifold, the rest of the system is just a means of getting the gases from the main collector (where the primaries / secondaries join up) to the point you need them to exit (i.e. the tailpipe) and should be as free-flowing as possible. From what I understand, and maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, there's no such thing as a system that's too free-flowing. The diameter of the system is purely a package / weight / cost / acoustic trade-off and the guidelines on diameter are just that - a guide.

Ps - note system = after manifold.

Yes you`re right i mistook the question ,"most of the work" is done in the manifold/primary area but some gains can be made after the downpipe and silencer, there`s some interesting stuff on this subject just google exhaust tuning it`s all there

Spiky

Cybernick, 2" magnex, on gti6 with and without ITB's :D, all good

you dont want less than 2"

i'm in 2.5" now, since going supercharge route

Sign in to follow this