• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
UnderNutter

Cheap And Simple Ways To Make A 1.1 Go Just A Little Faster

UnderNutter

Still a bit new to the peugeot game, My engine is a TU3, yes? its a 1991 XL and carburated.

Anyway, as per the title, throw some ideas at me folks :) . I dont want to compromise economy overly much as its my daily.

I know, I know, my best bet is to drop a 1.4 motor straight in but are there any quick and easy tricks out there?

TIA

Dave

allanallen

Youve pretty much answered it yourself I rekon, IMO an engine conversion Is the only way to go.

kyepan

Removing weight.. Would be the only alternative to spending money.

But then if it's your daily.. That may not be practical.

Liquid_106

^What he said - removing weight is free ;)

allye

Get more air and fuel in, then get rid of it quicker :P

dcc

or just get a closer ratio gear box

MrMemzi

As all of the above. But it is only a 1.1 your best bet is to just make it look pretty and save your money

m_attt

go down a steep hill with the wind behind you :P

MrMemzi

Go faster stripes. And a spoiler

• Like 1

steve@cornwall

They already seem very good for what they are - you can get them to handle better, but without the power to pull them out of a corner, there's not much point! percentage power gains are minimal when starting with little in the first place! Is yours the four or five speed version?... as mine is a four and the spacing from second to third is a real power killer....

Batfink

lighten the flywheel and get ultra light wheels.

welshpug

Don't brake!

Seriously though, learning to read the roads better and the traffic situations etc, means you can cover ground quicker and easier without using excess fuel and wearing out your brake pads etc.

GLPoomobile

Cut a hole in the floor and use your feet, Flintstone style.

Liquid_106

Don't bother 'tuning' the 1.1, make the most of what you have:

• Make sure the engine is in the best condition it can be, replace liquids and filters etc
  • Remove weight - either by stripping interior or replacing heavy parts for lighter ones - poly carbs, fibre glass panels, light weight alloys, flywheel (as mentioned above) etc - depends on the extent you want to go to.
  • Good tyres - gives the ability to carry greater speed through a corner - conservation of speed
  • Suspension upgrade - again, helps to corner faster and conserve the speed - upgrade to the GTi subframe and associated suspension? 309 running gear would allow you to run supposedly lighter (hollow) 306 hubs without giving positive camber. (or have a read there's no difference?)

waits to be corrected :P

Strictly_Derv

1.4 XS engine conversion would be the best idea, you could probably have it done in a day by the looks of them.

welshpug

you dont have to use that gearbox do you Einstein!

Liquid_106

Einstein!

Far from it! Just sounds like the Engine and gearbox were built as a matching pair and so would be pointless on a different box :blink:

Anyway, back on topic.............

Batfink

higher quality suspension use lighter materials as well, but we may be talking over the sensible budget for a 1.1

Saying that I've had £4k of suspension and tyres on a standard engined rallye.

omega

the best option is the engine swap to the 1.4 anything else will cost you more time and money.

you could use a kn filter to make it sound like its going faster but then it might not run right as its getting more air then you have to change the jets to match then you have to take it to a rolling road to get set up right so you have spent 100 pounds and maybe got 2 bhp

Petrolsniffer

I put 15 inch 406 steels on my old 1.1 by far the best upgrade I did! really cornered well after that compared to the skinny 13's

Also fitted polybushes to the front lower arms which tightened up things no end.

kyepan

Lighter wheels if you want it to go faster, with sticky tyres!!!

not bigger heavier ones...

A set of c5 alloys will be lighter than your current wheels... with some cut slick road legal jobbys.

welshpug

nooooo, you want Michelin energy's!