• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pug_ham

1.6 Gti With 1.9 Gti Distributor

pug_ham

I remember reading about this quite a while ago in a post by taffycrook but can't find it in any search. :(

I did find this topic but the reason I'm asking is because it is supposed to give a few extra lbft mid range to the 1.6 & with the lakes trip looming at the end of the month I thought I'd look into giving my latest ebay 1.6 GTI a little extra life for the weekend.

I've pm'd olly to find his thoughts but my initial interest was from a post by taffycrook saying some of the rally boys had used the 1.9 dizzy & found a but extra from their engines due to the different advance curves of the two.

I have a good 1.9 dizzy here (with advance capsule!) so I might give it a try.

Anyone else with any experience of running this mixture?

g

pug_ham

62 views but no replies, clearly not a very well known modification.

I'll give it a try & see how it works.

g

Simes

A distributor??.....how positively clockwork!!!

DamirGTI

Graham , few months ago i've bought my third GTI with a 1.6 engine but , it has mix and match of components ..

It's a '91 year sorrento , originally it had a late 1.9 DKZ Motronic engine but someone replaced it with a 1.6 115hp unit and plugged all up on a 1.9 Jetronic managemet .. so it's a base 1.6 with a 1.9 Jetronic ECU , 1.9 AFM , 1.9 dizzy , 1.9 yellow injectors and 1.9 D6B camshaft fitted instead of OE 1.6 one .. + they bolted on a Motronic flywheel on this the 1.6 engine (cowboys :ph34r: ..)

Anyways , it doesn't have an MOT nor the plates so i had just a few quick late night spins around ... but , it goes surprisingly well for such an engine bodge mix job :blink:.. it pulls really good .

Damir B)

Edited by DamirGTI

steve@cornwall

i used this on my original 1.6 - but was many years ago and did seem to give an improvement in "urgency" - but may have been more to do with the old one being knackered - would have thought you'd have given it a try by now ;) far more imformative than back to back results from 2 s/h distributers of unknown condition

• Like 1

pug_ham
A distributor??.....how positively clockwork!!!

Yeah, thats how the factory made them surprisingly & I'm keeping this one pretty standard. :P

Thanks Damir & Steve for your inputs, I haven't been able to give it a try yet because the car is minus a rear beam & exhaust whilst I do a beam rebuild prior to the lakes trip in two weeks.

Thanks for the input though, I am going to give it a try when its back on its wheels this week.

I'll do a back to back comparison when I do & post my findings.

g

omega

cant help but watching with intrest.

• Like 1

steve@cornwall

Anyone got the number stamped on the body for the 1.9 clip on cap dizzy? I may well have one in my "bucket o' dizzies" and now have a 1.6 on the road so can give it a try......

pug_ham

Steve, I also wanted to know this before I make the change rather than just guessing because its a different number to the one presently fitted & from a quick search I found that apparently the most common 1.9 dizzy part number is 0237009066.

Afaik this should be the same, clip on or screw on cap.

Luckily this is the number of the first one I came to when I went looking for one.

I'll be fitting it in the next day or two when I have chance.

g

rallysteve

Did you ever get around to going this Graham? If so what was the verdict. I have a good 1.9 advance unit and dizzy to replace my 1.6 one with a broken advance.

Cheers Steve

pug_ham

Not yet Steve, it is on the list of things to do for this car but its presently locked safely away for winter.

I couldn't source a quality cap & arm for the dizzy I have after discovering Motaquip had quit stocking any 205 parts & all I could find locally were intermotor. :(

I'll try to find a Bosch cap ready for when I start a few jobs on it before summer.

g

ALEX

Not yet Steve, it is on the list of things to do for this car but its presently locked safely away for winter.

I couldn't source a quality cap & arm for the dizzy I have after discovering Motaquip had quit stocking any 205 parts & all I could find locally were intermotor. :(

I'll try to find a Bosch cap ready for when I start a few jobs on it before summer.

g

I noticed Halfords in Huddersfield had both styles of cap in stock on the shelf for about £18.

chris-gti

I've got a BX 1.9 8v dizzy kicking about somewhere. Will give that a go when i get a spare half hour.

pug_ham

The BX 1.9 dizzy will be different to the 205 1.9 GTI one.

g

Ramigojag

Just browsing and came across this. Did it work?

pug_ham

I never got to try it in the end due to the cap on the 1.9 dizzy being broken & I couldn't source a quality spare in the time before the lakes trip I'd planned to use it on.

g.