• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dch1950

Waiting For Bolster Cover Kits Or Full Sets ?

dch1950

Hi all,

during my thread about squab foams Cameron drew to my attention that he needed covers before he would buy any foam. Everyone has their own way of doing things and I acknowledge that. My first 50 thigh bolster (foams) sales though do show that it is possible to do things in a different order. Although good/sound existing cover inserts would be required.

He also said that he would prefer to buy full cover sets as he couldn't sew.

However, I would like to show you, by vitrue of a few jpgs, that fitting new bolster covers (the black bits) is not that difficult and requires I sewn seam per cover plus one if you are having a new rear attachment listing (linen). 3 in all.These seams can be sewn with an ordinary domestic machine ( i use a no. 18 needle, with jeans sewing thread M25 (tex 80) black freely available online)

each bolster cover has an attaching piece (the swan neck shaped section in picture one). This is required to be sewn to the corresponding edge of the insert. My pictures show my "quintet" inserts but you get the drift.

I think that if your inserts are in good condition then the replacement cloth bolster solution is a good one and economical, £35 a side.(thigh and squab) Here's a pin up to show you anyway.

The cover is just pinned for illustrative puposes. I am making up covers now (for sale) and when I am in production I will make a video clip and post it on Youtube and/or Facebook. To show you how easy it is. If I can do it then .....

Please note that bolster cover kits will only be made in the B09 needlecord fabric and this permits the use of a domestic sewing machine.

regards

Dave

For the full sets I have enough "Quintet" fabric to make up 10 seats (back or front). These will be sewn as 1.6 Gti cloth bolstered covers.

Thank you.

D

Edited by dch1950

Tom Fenton

I am waiting for the bolster covers, with the green detail stitching. I will then order the foams and covers together to repair my seats.

Cameron

Ok I'm almost convinced. :lol:

If you could put up a full guide to replacing the bolster covers that would be very helpful. The thing that worries me is that if I were to go down the replacement bolster cover / foam route, I can't take the seat apart until I come to do the job and thus have no idea what I'm letting myself in for.

Tom Fenton

To be honest I probably won't do the sewing myself, I'm going to see if my mother can tackle it, if not I'll use a local trimmer. I have got the advantage of other vehicles to use, and a second pair of seats too, so it doesn't matter to me if it takes a month to get done before I can put them back in.

dch1950

Hi Cameron,

I like diy guides , although too much of my bald patch shows in the bolster foam one. Yes , of course there will be one and if people can understand my Brummy accent, probably a video as well.

The determining factor for you,therefore, is what condition are your Quartet inserts in. Some are vile and it's obvious they are "f*****d".I will send out a seam ripper FOC to everyone who buys a bolster cover kit by the way.. The integrity of the seam edge is important and I will show how to reinforce this (with what is called bias binding) to make the seam strong. Foam replacement is fairly easy (my grandson's name is Jacob by the way :D ). Job jobbed

regards

Dave

dch1950

"To be honest I probably won't do the sewing myself"

Go on Tom - you know want to.

Tom Fenton

I know where my talents lie, and they are not in sewing !

• Like 1

Darrens205GTI

Hi David,

As I have 1.9 seats will you sell the quintet material seperately? I can then get an upholsterer to make up complete new seat covers for me (they are in a right state) I am looking for enough to do both front and back seats.

If you can't spare enough from your first batch, I am in no rush and will be happy to wait a few months for the next. I have more than enough body work and bits to be getting on with.

Cheers,

Darren.

Cameron

My quintet material is in great condition, it's only the bolster and squab fabric that lets the seats down.

dch1950

Hi Darren,

I'm with you on this one. Leather bolsters. These are part of my maim development plan, but I'm trying one thing at a time. I certainly won't mind selling Quintet to people who wish to get their own trimming done (can attach the vellcro, listings, hem and plastic piping for wires) if you want. You are right in as much as I only have a limited amount of red/black to get started with, but my turkish supplier gets really happy if I want to order more. The shipping costs are quite heavy though so my price to you would neccessarily reflect that. But in principal I have no objection to that.

I will in due course be making Full cover sets with leather bolster/surrounds - but one thing at a time. You must balance the convenience of a local trimmer against the cost of a full set from me. - ready to fit.

I will always endevour to assist - I'm a PUG nut and I luv mi little car (sorry about that :wub: )

regards

Dave

dch1950

My quintet material is in great condition, it's only the bolster and squab fabric that lets the seats down.

Hi Cameron,

my bolster kit is your optimal solution Cameron. For your front seats at least.. I sell them individually ( will sell - sorry) so you can just buy one if that's what you need. A full set comprising of 2 thigh bolster covers and 2 squabs is a discount buy at £66 + P&P with the line stiching in either red or green.

These really are not too difficult for anyone to fit.

best regards

Dave

Cameron

I'll take your word for it then, and have 2 sets off you to refurb my front seats. :D

The rears are in very good nick, only the underside cloth has fallen to pieces so I'll just get those parts replaced by a trimmer - no-one will ever see or notice.

dch1950

Personally I think the devils in the detail, I have the patterns for the dust covers (rear) plus the plastic renforcing piece.

regards

Dave

dch1950

Hi All,

I have more or less completed my own wear tests on my "Quintet" insert replacement fabric to my satisfaction. This being confirmed indirectly by the textile lab results. I know, from the number of enquiries I have received that "supply only" is a valid option for the GTi owner wishing to do the trim work themselves. I am, therefore, in a position to take orders for the insert material on a individual supply basis.

Because the material is manufactured abroad and is considered "small batch work" (i.e. expensive :mellow: ) by the manufacturer it is in mine and eveyone elses interest to order as much as possible in one go.

Minimum Order Quantity applies and I wish to make up an order for red/black Quintet" to go to the my supplier on 19/Mar/12. lead time is around 4 days plus shipping to the UK of a further 12-14 days.

I will retail the fabric at £40 per roll metre (standard roll width for textiles is 1.4 metres). Thus for the inserts (cushion/squab) for a pair of front seats you need 0.75 metres, and for all 4 seats 2 x fronts, 2 x rears - 1.5 metres. priced at £30 and £60 respectively.plus P+P (Royal Mail signed for)

For those that choose this option I will include cutting layouts, sewing and assembly details etc. for the inserts themselves (pdf download from my site) and if needed I can also do the assembly - hems,listings, velcro fixing required at an extra £10 per complete seat. I will have the final pricing options on my web shop by Tues of this week.

Given that I have patterns for each element of the seats i.e. head rest, dust covers, attachment listing, bolsters, backrest vinyl etc I can and will offer these items as individual components in due course

Cloth bolster kits should be available by the end of this week, I'm waiting on the top stitch thread to come from Germany.

I have the production capability for the green/black Quintet but again MOQ's apply and given there is likely to be a lot less demand for this I will have to make up a special order for those wanting to use it either on a supply only basis, or as a full seat option. Please note I don't expect my customers to carry all the up front costs here and a lot of my own money is being invested as well. I think this situation may well improve once I have established my credentials with the supplier. Watch this space.

regards

Dave

cRaig

You can add me to the list for supply only order of green quintet, enough for 2x front and 2x back seats please :) Dont need it in a hurry, so whenever the order is big enough suits me :)

Glad to hear it seems to be progressing more smoothly for you now :)

Craig

dch1950

Hi Craig,

I'm going to need more than just a statement of interest on this paricular item as I won't order it without payment to hold as stock in the hope that it sells. This isn't a viable option I'm afraid. I will only import this (green/black Quintet")for paid up customers, as it's both a small batch and and a special colour combo within that sub-group as well.

regards

Dave

cRaig

Thats fine. PM me an invoice/payment details and I shall get on the case.

Craig

dch1950

Both red/black and green/black Quintet will go on my web shop tomorrow. The green with the proviso that a minimum order quantity will be required to be met else no order will be placed and the client will be refunded all monies due.

thanx

Dave

Tom Fenton

Dave, how many orders do you need to reach your MOQ for the black/green? Also I may have missed it but will you then offer complete seat covers if you have the MOQ for the centre met?

dch1950

No Tom, thats not what I said at all. The MOQ for the green - black Quintet is 30 metres. If it was bought in units of 1.5 metres as stated then the number of orders could be be as low as 20 ( @1.5) or maxm 40 (@ 0.75).

Red-black estimated sales (I think) are better as it is a more universal match and also the total number of green interiors for possible replacement is lower.

Complete cover components vary and the whilst some will use R/B quintet, and some G/B , Rallye covers use all cloth (my B09), my GTi special will be black hide/ alcantara inserts, so of the percentage of covers that will probably use G/B then all those orders will rquire payment up front for either fabric - supply only or full covers cloth bolsters/ G/B Quintet inserts.

I responded to the calls for green Quintet but I don't think (personally) that I will ever need to order more than 1 batch. However, I wait to be surprised. Mind you I don't base my sales projections on purchases made by forum members alone :D . So, the actual restraint is getting more fabric from my supplier. I'll combine orders where I can but a yarn colour change is as major as swapping the line to my Quintet production. That's what they say - and I tend to believe them as they've been pretty straight with me so far. The real crippler on any of these purchases is the shipping. and it's financial suicide to bring in material that I don't think is likely to sell well and hold it in stock on the off chance. I hope that explains things.

regards

Dave

Tom Fenton

No Tom, thats not what I said at all.

Not sure what you are getting at there Dave, I was trying to establish if it was worth me hanging on to buy covers entirely made from new material, if the MOQ combined with level of interest meant this was or was not likely to happen for the green, and if this was something you had/planned to have on offer.

dch1950

Hi Tom, there were 2 questions posed. I thought you were after bolster cover kits and foams - at least thats what you've always told me to date. Sorry I misunderstood you. My previous threads have related to MOQs on green/black being a problem because I didn't think I could hold stock of the insert fabric if it wouldn't sell. That was completely seperate to the production of full seat sets as I indicated to you as not all full covers require "Quintet" fabric iserts. The topic related to supply chains. Just ask the question Tom and I'll know then what answer to give. ;) Green/black supply is totally determined by how many people want it. If that turns out to too few then I won't order it (too few being < 30 MOQ metres.).With red/black i'm happy to balance my stock requirements against some "suppy only" fabric , especially as I still have 8 metres of red/black in stock. It's down to you guys at the end of the day. I responded to the request to provide it but I repeat I'm not sure other than about 4 or 5 people will ask for it. That's between 3 and 6 metres - and I can't get that small an amount made.

regards

Dave

Will England win ?

• Like 1

Tom Fenton

So in summary then

I was trying to establish if it was worth me hanging on to buy covers entirely made from new material,

No.

if the MOQ combined with level of interest meant this was or was not likely to happen for the green,

Not likely due to interest and MOQ level making it not viable.

if this was something you had/planned to have on offer.

Not in green, see point 2.

dch1950

You got there eventualy. In as much as green/black fabric would have been your new insert material of choice. Those owners that want green/black can have it but the order (subject to that MOQ) would take an age to build up and I would have to take the money in advance for it. I have stated the min/max yardage and my feeling is that isn't a viable option.

OK

regards

Dave

cRaig

How long are you planning to leave the green material order list open to try and build it up MOQ? If its going to take months and months, and seems pretty unlikely anyway, Im wondering if its even worth parting with the cash for so long, if its almost certain to fail anyway.

Craig