• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
edbar

Leaking Rocker Cover

edbar

My rocker cover is leaking even with a genuine gasket. Any ideas on how to stop the leaking, was thinking of using instant gasket as well?

Thanks

Strictly_Derv

Mine had been leaking for ages, with a new gasket. Bought some silicone sealant, put some on the head, inside the lip of the gasket and it's not leaking finally, which is impressive for a diesel :lol:

Strictly_Derv

Also be careful not to put loads on otherwise when bolted down it will just ooze into your engine.

edbar

Yeah thats what I thought, will try this week.

Doof

I've been looking at the breathers on my car and realised mine were all wrong and I've also had a leaky rocker cover (until i used silicone sealant, which is nasty). I wonder if incorrect breathers and thus high pressure in the head could cause this? Possibly worth checking blocked breathers / incorrect pipe layout...

sharpm

from my experience the best remedy is a new gasket, make sure all surfaces are spotlessly clean then apply wellseal to all surfaces, let it dry for 5 mins then assemble.

dont tighten up the nuts/bolts too tight as this will squash and twist the gasket and it will leak even worse.

also make sure you use fibre washers on the rocker cover nuts/bolts with wellseall too, as quite a bit of oil is pushed out through these too.

this has worked for me and its now totally dry with no leaks anywhere.

DamirGTI

On the engines which wont seal up even with an new rocker cover gasket , i usually use non setting sealant (hylomar blue , permatex ultra blue , loctite 5926 etc. ... myself i like Wurth DP300 as the best ..) ... just lightly "wet" the cover gasket with sealant (rub the sealant on the gasket with your fingers) and assemble back .. but don't tight the bolts/nuts so much .

Damir B)

Edited by DamirGTI

edbar

Thats pretty much what I did the other night. Going to take it for a run today and see if I got the leak under control or not.

Sign in to follow this